9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2010 2:33 PM by Jacob Bugge

Pantone colors

relzi1337

Hey,

If I want something to be printed with the exact Pantone color, is it possible?

I mean, when getting a Pantone color online, you get a false reference because of the screen's colors.

And when getting a color via Pantone bridge, you can't test it properly at illustrator because again, the screen differs the colors.

In short, how should I work with Pantone color while making a design for a printing house?

Furthermore, there are some colors missing using Pantone, am I wrong? I tried getting a very Dark Blue, and couldn't find any Pantone color for it.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Pantone colors
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

In short, how should I work with Pantone color while making a design for a printing house?

You just create a swatch for it. Everything else is completely irrelevant. Spot colors are printed from a separate ink. It can look whatever it wants on screen as long as the printer has the correct reference number, so color calibration doesn't matter at all otehr than for your own pleasure.

am I wrong?

Yes, with a 99% likelihood. If out of 5000+ colors of the normal coated/uncoated color books you cannot find a suitable blue, then you are doing something completely wrong.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Pantone colors
            relzi1337 Level 1

What I did is, entering this web: http://www.dspgroup.co.uk/material/ColourNamesPanton.htm , to find the appropriate color, and converted it to CMYK color in illustrator. That's the way?

The color that displayed @ illustrator will be the output in the printing? (Again, there's the difference between real colors and monitor color..)

I'm not a professional designer, so sorry in advance if I ask somewhat silly questions.

And regarding the fact I couldn't find a proper Dark Blue, look at that website.. there's really no really Dark Blue besides one, which isn't dark enough.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Pantone colors
              Scott Falkner Level 5

Illustrator has many swatch libraries built in, with the names and colour values already defined. Just select Windows > Swatch Libraries > Color Books, then the appropriate swatch book. A new panel will appear and you can select the correct swatch there. To get an accurate preview of the swatch you should use a no-shît dead tree Pantone swatch book, which is not cheap, but cheaper than one reprint because you picked the wrong colour.

You probably want PANTONE solid coated, PANTONE solid matte, or PANTONE solid uncoated.

Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 1.26.09 PM.PNG

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Pantone colors
                relzi1337 Level 1

Thanks for the answer, halped me alot.

Though I couldn't find anything beneficial about "no-shît dead tree Pantone swatch book" on Google.

• 5. Re: Pantone colors
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I think he might mean no shift.

But I would be curious myself abut this.

• 6. Re: Pantone colors
                    Scott Falkner Level 5

Any decent art supply store will sell you a Pantone swatch book. These are books with printed samples of Pantone inks, printed using the exact same ink formula the printer you hire will use to print you job. If you want to know what that ink looks like on paper, you need to see that actual ink on actual paper, not some glowing dots on a computer screen.

• 7. Re: Pantone colors
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I think the term was what through us all off not the product.

Pantone Guides do shift in color over time and have to be replaced. It is the nature of printing ink and commercial paper.

• 8. Re: Pantone colors
                        Scott Falkner Level 5

I didn't realize the term "no shît" was over the heads of so many people. Would you prefer "fair dinkum"?

• 9. Re: Pantone colors
                          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Scott,

I am afraid it was the dead tree part; I believe few realize what paper is made of.