10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 9:45 AM by the_wine_snob

HD editing on Premier Elements 8

martingroundsell1981

Has anyone been able to use Premier Elements 8 to edit HD video content on a PC, where the PC has a quad band 2.4Ghz processor?  The standard (rubbish) software that comes with my camera works on my PC and plays the video perfectly however the trial software for Premier Elements 8 does not work until i turn the content into MPEG2 which obviously results in rubbish quality. The min spec for the full version says that you need a 3Ghz processor for HD content however my processor is good enough for other software and so I am wondering if it is due to the fact i am using the trial softare and not the full version but dont want to buy the full version if it wont work.

Also my quad band processor is faster than most dual band 3Ghz processors that are on the market at the moment.

Any help is appreciated

• 1. Re: HD editing on Premier Elements 8
          Chrisholly

Hi

You don't mention where the HD video is coming from or what format its in ? You are more likely to have an issue with Pre8 not liking your HD video format.

I can edit this kind of HD source video:

AVCHD .mts file from a Canon HF20 - 1920x1080i at 25fps.

Using a PC with the following specs:

i7 920, 3GB ram, 3HDD (Samsung SATA2, 7200), Win 7 32bit, Nvidia 9800GT (driver ver 197.13) 

A standard i7 920 is at 2.6 or 2.66 Ghz I believe.   Note that AVCHD is reportedly difficult to edit but I don't have too many issues.  I use a standard preset in Pre8  (PAL - AVCHD - Full HD 1080i 25).

Regards Chris

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HD editing on Premier Elements 8
            martingroundsell1981 Level 1

Thanks for the response, I am getting the video straight from my Panasonic HDC-SD60.  I can not find what the frames per second are in the manual but I have it set to Widescreen, 2816 x 1584.  Should I change this to 1920 x 1080?

Looking at the Camera it is a AVCHD camera and I use the get media from a AVCHD camera function to import the film and looking in Explorer it looks to be imported as a .mts file.

Looking at the project settings in the trial software they are set to 25 frames per second and DV PAL but only 720 x 576 and i can not seem to change this setting, could this be the issue and in fact by buying the full version it will work as I want it to?

• 3. Re: HD editing on Premier Elements 8
              martingroundsell1981 Level 1

Looking that the Specs on line the camera works as follows now that i have changed the resolution to

1920 x 1080, Bit rate of 17Mbps, Codec: MPEG4-AVC/H.264(AVCHD) and apparently the frame rate is 60i however i can not find any way of confirming the frame rate on the camera or in the manual.

• 4. Re: HD editing on Premier Elements 8
                Chrisholly Level 1

The Panasonic looks like a nice camera. I would expect there are resolution setting for still shots and video.
                The 2816x1584 looks to be a resolution for still shots.  The video should be at 1920x1080, then you have to choose quality settings, you should se "HA" somewhere on screen which indicates 17Mbps.

I use Mediainfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) to check the video details which was recommended in this forum, Gspot is also recommended but I find it less useful for AVCHD files.

Sorry I don't have the trial version so not sure what presets you have. On the full version there is a preset NTSC - AVCHD - Full HD 1080i 30 which is what I would expect you to have to use (assuming your not in PAL land).  The decription of that preset is

- For editing with 1920x1080i AVCHD camcorders.

- 16:9 interlaced HD video at 29.97 frames per second.

- 48kHz audio.

- Drop-Frame Timecode numbering.

Rgds Chris

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: HD editing on Premier Elements 8
                  nbettinger

Chris,

I have been struggling with the same issue in PE8.  I cannot seem to find a decent HD output preset. I don't see the NTSC AVHCD - Full HD 1080i 30 you reference. In the mpeg drop-down, I see an MPEG2 1920x1080i 30 and a similar one with H.264.  The best I have been able to do is modify the MPEG preset by maxing out the quality & bitrate settings.

Any other ideas?  Thanks.

Nick

• 6. Re: HD editing on Premier Elements 8
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The ideal output setting for HD from Premiere Elements is Share/Personal Computer/MPEG.

Use the 1440x1080 30 (25 for PAL) output. This is equivalent to HDV -- and it will import, without rendering, into an HDV Premiere Elements project.

At this output setting you should see virtually no loss of resolution or quality from either an HDV or AVCHD source if your project is set up with the appropriate project settings.

• 7. Re: HD editing on Premier Elements 8
                      babushka 7

i find premier elements 8 works well with my HD footage from a sony avhd video camera  without a problem.i can get the edited footage onto a disc but it will only play on the computer through windows media player. i'm thinking of buying elements 9 unless someone on this forum can help.

• 8. Re: HD editing on Premier Elements 8
                        babushka 7 Level 1

hi Steve, i've done what you've said in your post but how do i get it onto a disc that will play on most media players. the discs i make only play on a computer through windows media player.

• 9. Re: HD editing on Premier Elements 8
                          Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Surprise, surprise,

Have they changed PE8 from PE 4.  We do it all the time, I am lookihng at it now.

Go to >SHARE >DVD not Blu-Ray>Pre sets PAL or NTSC Dolby Widescreen DVD>Tick Quality.> click Burn

It will do everthing and it should play on any current DVD player.

Good luck

• 10. Re: HD editing on Premier Elements 8
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Windows Media Player might not be the best DVD software player. Once, it supported DVD-Video, but then MS dropped that support, as it was felt that all DVD-Videos, that were burned, were pirated copies of commercial DVD's. For a while, there were 3rd party plug-ins, that would get that functionality back. I believe that MS might have relented a bit, on their anti-burned DVD stance, but I still recommend either CyberLink's PowerDVD, or the freeware, MediaPlayer Classic HC. It seems that DVD playback with WMP is a bit iffy, at best.

Good luck,

Hunt