4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 10:32 AM by bregent

Adding text

nmulder

I have tried a couple of time to add text to my background to no avail. So, I put some text on my background in Photoshop but still need to add a hyperlink on my page. I want the hyperlink on a certain spot in my page, but it is not working. I have two boxes: Feeding the pregnant mare and Breaking in your foal. I want two texts saying, " more" under both box texts. Can anyone help me with this or explain how to do this??

Thanks!

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<title>Untitled Document</title>

</head>

<body background="file:///C|/Users/Nancy/Documents/Martell Stables/horses.jpg" text="#FFFFFF" link="#FFFFFF" vlink="#FF6600" alink="#0033CC">

</body>

</html>

• 1. Re: Adding text
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Two things.  First, the link to your background which says C:\ will not work online because it is pointing to your hard drive, but it is this way because you have not defined a site yet in Dreamweaver or you have not saved the file within a site.

Second, text in Photoshop when you save for web, saves the image as an image.  It prevents any editing to the text.  It embeds it within the image.  You can save the images/slices from Photoshop and use them as backgrounds and write text over top in Dreamweaver, but you will not be able to edit any text from an image in Photoshop or make it a link like you were asking.

If you need help setting this up, first head over to the following website and give a quick read over the HTML and CSS tutorials (it will help you understand what people are saying here when they are helping you).  Next if you need help slicing up the image or getting this started for the first time I could try to help you out, might need to see the Photoshop document though to see what you are trying to accomplish and to get your site moving along.

• 2. Re: Adding text
            nmulder Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

SnakEyez02 wrote:

You can save the images/slices from Photoshop and use them as backgrounds and write text over top in Dreamweaver, but you will not be able to edit any text from an image in Photoshop or make it a link like you were asking.

If you need help setting this up, first head over to the following website and give a quick read over the HTML and CSS tutorials (it will help you understand what people are saying here when they are helping you).  Next if you need help slicing up the image or getting this started for the first time I could try to help you out, might need to see the Photoshop document though to see what you are trying to accomplish and to get your site moving along.

I know I can't edit any text that is already in my background. What I want is to write text over top in Dreamweaver but exactly where I want it in the boxes.

I'm very new in Dreamweaver and have no clue what I'm doing... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 3. Re: Adding text
              hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

please look at this thread,

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2762263#2762263 Nr 8,

where I said something about these bad characters: <body background="file:///C|/Users/Nancy/Documents/Martell Stables/horses.jpg" You should have something like:

<!--
              body {
              background-image: url(pictures/horses.jpg);
              }
              -->

In addition I propose to close the gap between "Martell Stables" to "MartellStables".

For text in an image you need the so called hotspots.

dr.jpg

The menu opens if you click in DW into your image, after that you will be able to place the hotspot(s) in the area you need/want.

Hans-G.

• 4. Re: Adding text
                bregent Most Valuable Participant

>I know I can't edit any text that is already in my background.

>What I  want is to write text over top in Dreamweaver but exactly

>where I want  it in the boxes.

Trying to align text over a background image is an excercise in futility. You'll never get it to be satisfactory.

>I'm very new in Dreamweaver and have no clue what I'm doing..

Stop tyring to learn Dreamweaver. Step back for a little bit and learn the basics of html and css. Until you do, DW will be impossible to manage.