6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 4:39 PM by Steve Grisetti

Sony Vaio 1.6ghz intel core 2 quad i7

lh9421

Will this processesor work with Premier Elements?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Sony Vaio 1.6ghz intel core 2 quad i7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It may. But it depends on your operating system and the type of camcorder you're getting your video from.

Also, Sony often customizes Windows on their VAIOs, and this too can negatively affect performance.

I don't know if this is a computer you own or are just considering -- but, whatever your situation, I very much recommend you try before you buy. That's why Adobe offers a free trial of the program.

• 2. Re: Sony Vaio 1.6ghz intel core 2 quad i7
            lh9421 Level 1

Video Cam: CX150

1.6ghx Intel Core quad i7 (Turbo Boost up to 2.8ghz), 6mb L3 Cache, 6GB DDR Memory. Windows 7 Professional 

This is the Laptop I own, I can take it back if necessary.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Sony Vaio 1.6ghz intel core 2 quad i7

If you're talking about  the Sony HDR-CS150, that is an AVCHD camcorder, which produce some of the most challenging video to edit. I don't know if I'd try to edit it on a laptop with those specs. It might work -- but it might not.

As I say, I'd try to free trial download and see if I was happy with the performance.

• 4. Re: Sony Vaio 1.6ghz intel core 2 quad i7
                mgw4jc Level 1

Steve, Can you expand on what you mean by "challenging?" I just purchased a similarly configured laptop and the Canon HFM30 - also AVCHD. I have never done any video editing but want to start. Is the challenge with PreEl and AVCHD or something else?

I also plan to capture some video from an older 8mm camcorder and a VHS tape or two, but that is short term and mainly for archival purposes.

I will take your advice and get the trial before buying, but would like to know what to watch out for.

Thanks,

-Matt

• 5. Re: Sony Vaio 1.6ghz intel core 2 quad i7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

The challenge is with the material. Playback of AVCHD is very highly dependent on the CPU power of the computer. Many feel that a fast Quad-core is the bare minimum, and many others feel that only a fast i7 will be needed.

With most video footage, the I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their speed, controller type and how they are allocated, are the main factor. With AVCHD, the CPU becomes the most important aspect. RAM is slightly down the list, but more is always better, than less.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Sony Vaio 1.6ghz intel core 2 quad i7

Exactly, Hunt.

AVCHD takes about four times the power of standard video to edit -- which may or may not be beyond your computer's capacity. That's why we highly recommend you try before you buy.