Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Template

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2006 Oct 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I need to copy a template to a webhelp project. This is what I do: I copy the htt fil in question to the folder in which my project is located. Then I open my Robohelp project and place the cursor on 'Templates' in the project manager and click 'Import'. This process seems to work successfully. The problem is that the imported template is not visible in the Project Manager in Robohelp only in the file manager. Therefore, I cannot edit it. Can anyone help?

Kind regards
Lena

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lena. If you right click on the template file in windows explorer and select the properties, have you permission to edit it? Just wondering if it has been set to read only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

Thanks for your answer. Yes I do have permission to edit this template.

Kind regards
Lena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2006 Oct 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried copying the template from its original location? Also try and copy a different template (set one up if you haven't got one) and see if the same problem occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a quirk of RoboHelp.

You must import a template from someplace outside the project folder.

My guess is, RH thinks the file is already in the project, so it doesn't bother to add it to the database table where it keeps track of templates.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum nad Harvey,

I have just made the recommended test: copied a different template to my project. The result: the new template does indeed show in the Template. This is interesting. This tells me, Harvey, that Robohelp doesn't bother to add it to the database table, like you said. The questing is, how I can remove the template from the my project and the attach it again?

Lena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2006 Oct 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'll have to put on a cowboy hat and try the following. Close your project, make a backup, find the rhtemplate.apj file located in the project's directory and open the file with Notepad or something similar. There you should find a reference to the imported template file. Delete everything from the <file> XML tag to the </file> XML tag. Close the file saving the change and reopen your RH project. You should then be able to reimport the template from the original location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 13, 2006 Oct 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I agree with Colum's advice.

Normally. when you delete a template from the RH explorer, you'll be told that this will remove all references to the header and footer in all topics. The template disappears from the list. HOWEVER, the .htt file remains in the project.

If RH has properly kept track of things, you can re-import it from the project folder.
If you try to re-import a template with the same name from somewhere else, RH may object.

RH can get terribly confused if you add or delete files in the Windows Explorer rather than within RH. More so when the project is open, but even when RH is not running, you are taking your chances when you meddle with Mother RH.

That's when you have to resort to Colum's suggestion to use brute force on the apj file. Failing that, you may need to go into the cpd file with MS Access and find a table to fix.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp