6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2007 6:55 AM by Ortho

Find text between tags with regular expression

Ortho
      I am trying to find specif text -- table names - within a <cfquery> tag in all my cfm files. I am using an extend find function in Homesite (I think Dreamweaver has the same functionality). This expression works:

<[Cc][fF][qQ][uU][eE][rR][Yy] [^>]*>[^>]*(EventName|AttendeeName)[^>]*</[Cc][fF][qQ][uU][eE][rR][Yy]>

for find the text EventName or AttendeeName. However, if there are other cf tags like <cfif> within the <cfquery>, then the tag/text is not found.

Can anyone help? It is a useful expression to have if you are trying to transfer applications developed on a windows machine to a, say, linux machine, and have table name sensititvity issues with mySql.
        • 1. Re: Find text between tags with regular expression
          Level 7
          > <[Cc][fF][qQ][uU][eE][rR][Yy]
          > [^>]*>[^>]*(EventName|AttendeeName)[^>]*</[Cc][fF][qQ][uU][eE][rR][Yy]>

You should be OK by simply not specifying the ending of the opening
          <cfquery> tag:

<cfquery.*(EventName|AttendeeName).*</cfquery>

I doubt your table names will occur *between* the "<cfquery" and its ">",
          so it should be safe to assume any matches are within the SQL string.

I'm not sure you need to be so precise with the CFQUERY capitalisation, but
          I guess you have your reasons.

--
          Adam
          • 2. Re: Find text between tags with regular expression
            Ortho Level 1
            Thanks, but it:
            1) Captures everything between the first and last query in a script if there is more than one cfquery in the script
            2) It produces some regular expression errors in Homesite.

The reason for this is I am developing on a windows machine with mysql and want to use the application online on a linux machine where table names are case sensitive. My code was not always faithful to that since in windows you can be sloppy!
            • 3. Re: Find text between tags with regular expression
              Level 7
              > Thanks, but it:
              > 1) Captures everything between the first and last query in a script if there
              > is more than one cfquery in the script

Oops: sorry. Stick a question mark after the asterisks to stop the matches
              being greedy.

> 2) It produces some regular expression errors in Homesite.

Can't help you there. Sounds like HS's regex processor is bung: there's
              nothing non-standard or tricky about that regex (which might cause
              compatibility issues; JS vs PERL vs Java, etc).

HS on the whole is bung (IMO). Have you considered using a text editor
              that is... err... *current*? ;-)

What sort of errors is it giving?

> The reason for this is I am developing on a windows machine with mysql and
              > want to use the application online on a linux machine where table names are
              > case sensitive. My code was not always faithful to that since in windows you
              > can be sloppy!

Have you seen this:
              http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/identifier-case-sensitivity.html

It might be a better approach anyhow.

--
              Adam
              • 4. Re: Find text between tags with regular expression
                Ortho Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                Thanks for all the help. Comments below.

> Thanks, but it:
                > 1) Captures everything between the first and last query in a script if there
                > is more than one cfquery in the script

Oops: sorry. Stick a question mark after the asterisks to stop the matches
                being greedy.

Used this:

<[Cc][fF][qQ][uU][eE][rR][Yy].*?(EventName|AttendeeName)[^>].*?</[Cc][fF][qQ][uU][eE][rR][ Yy]>
                and got some finds again with multiple queries and some errors as mentioned below.

> 2) It produces some regular expression errors in Homesite.

Can't help you there. Sounds like HS's regex processor is bung: there's
                nothing non-standard or tricky about that regex (which might cause
                compatibility issues; JS vs PERL vs Java, etc).

HS on the whole is bung (IMO). Have you considered using a text editor
                that is... err... *current*? ;-)

No, can you suggest one. Just use HS for years and it does most of what I want.

What sort of errors is it giving?

Regular expression error No 17. Bad expression format or internal error.

> The reason for this is I am developing on a windows machine with mysql and
                > want to use the application online on a linux machine where table names are
                > case sensitive. My code was not always faithful to that since in windows you
                > can be sloppy!

Have you seen this:
                http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/identifier-case-sensitivity.html

It might be a better approach anyhow.

--
                Adam

• 5. Re: Find text between tags with regular expression
                  Level 7
                  > <[Cc][fF][qQ][uU][eE][rR][Yy].*?(EventName|AttendeeName)[^>].*?</[Cc][fF][qQ][uU
                  > ][eE][rR][Yy]>
                  > and got some finds again with multiple queries and some errors as mentioned
                  > below.

Maybe drop the [^>]

> No, can you suggest one. Just use HS for years and it does most of what I want.

Eclipse is probably the best option at present (all still IMO, obviously).
                  It seems to be where Adobe is applying their efforts for CF and Flex
                  development.

>> What sort of errors is it giving?
                  > Regular expression error No 17. Bad expression format or internal error.

Not so helpful then. I'm guessing "internal error" more than "bad format",
                  though.

> Have you seen this:
                  > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/identifier-case-sensitivity.html
                  >
                  > It might be a better approach anyhow.

Did you look at this?

--
                  Adam
                  • 6. Re: Find text between tags with regular expression
                    Ortho Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    > <[Cc][fF][qQ][uU][eE][rR][Yy].*?(EventName|AttendeeName)[^>].*?</[Cc][fF][qQ][uU
                    > ][eE][rR][Yy]>
                    > and got some finds again with multiple queries and some errors as mentioned
                    > below.

Maybe drop the [^>]

Makes no difference. The original I had still works the best.

> No, can you suggest one. Just use HS for years and it does most of what I want.

Eclipse is probably the best option at present (all still IMO, obviously).
                    It seems to be where Adobe is applying their efforts for CF and Flex
                    development.

>> What sort of errors is it giving?
                    > Regular expression error No 17. Bad expression format or internal error.

Not so helpful then. I'm guessing "internal error" more than "bad format",
                    though.

> Have you seen this:
                    > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/identifier-case-sensitivity.html
                    >
                    > It might be a better approach anyhow.

Did you look at this?

Yes, and I think I know all the alternatives now -- just have to find those problem table names and do the grunt work! Thanks for all your suggestions.

--
                    Adam