8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 4:24 AM by Harm Millaard

Will CS3 work with CS5

hughie49

I have CS3 Premiere Pro, On Location & Encore. I use MATROX LE Card

I have upgraded my system to Vista 64 bit, all is working OK . Can I jump to CS5 (when available) from my present system, understanding that I will need an updated graphic card  (G-Force GTX285) in order to take advantage of the Murcery engine.

In short..Can I skip over CS4 and go directly to CS5 ?

Hughie (Hugh Daly)

JHD Productions Ltd.

Deer Park,New York

• 1. Re: Will CS3 work with CS5
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Sure thing. New versions of Premiere don't use any previously installed files, so you can go from Premiere 6 to CS5 if you wanted to. The only variable would be to check on the availability of drivers for the Matrox card; Matrox is historically really slow about releasing updated/functional drivers.

Better yet, just pull the Matrox card completely Sorry--bad experience with Matrox, and I'm not a fan. In all seriousness, though, with MPE and a compatible card, third-party add-ons like Matrox cards are going to be obsolete really quickly... and there are better options for I/O out there.

• 2. Re: Will CS3 work with CS5
            DVDmike Level 1

You don't need to have ever used CS4 to run CS5.  CS3 projects should open fine and get converted to CS5 projects the first time you try to open one.  I cannot comment on if your system meets the minimum requirements though.

• 3. Re: Will CS3 work with CS5
              PaulieDC Level 2

And from an upgrade standpoint, CS2 is the earliest version allowed for the upgrade price, so you're good there too!

• 4. Re: Will CS3 work with CS5
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

PaulieDC wrote:

And from an upgrade standpoint, CS2 is the earliest version allowed for the upgrade price, so you're good there too!

Where did you see that?   When I checked the store it said Any version of Premiere.

upgrade.jpg

• 5. Re: Will CS3 work with CS5
                  PaulieDC Level 2

Whoops! See? I need to be careful... Photoshop upgrades are CS2 and later, so I assumed all Adobe products followed that. My apologies!

ps.png

• 6. Re: Will CS3 work with CS5
                    Fighting Sticks Level 2

hughie49,

Mate trust only yourself on this one!!!  Backup everything then download the CS5 trial version and find out for yourself.  I worked on a CS3 project a while back and wanted to upgrade to CS4 for the improved 3D features.  Users and Tech Support assured me, no problems.  In CS4 I found CS3 projects opened but the edited clips were all slightly out, rendering the project untenable in CS4.  When seeking help, other users implied it was an error on my part.  When I reported on this to Tech Support the story changed and I was told unexpected errors can occur in some instances.  Then Adobe wouldn't refund me so I had to get my state's ombudsman to facilitate a refund for expensive software that didn't do what I was told it would.  So take care of well intentioned advice, download the CS5 trial version and find out.

Generally though it is consensus that you should finish the project in the version you started in!  Also if you do download the trial version and it works - good for you BUT if it doesn't you may find you then have to remove CS5 & CS3, run the clean scripts and reinstall CS3 before you can again work with CS3.  TAKE CARE.  Keep in the original CS version - that's my advice.     

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Will CS3 work with CS5
                      hughie49 Level 1

Just purchased Premiere Pro CS5. Upgraded from CS3.  Having a problem using my CS3 ULTRA program. The captured Greenscreen footage doesn't come up in Keyer window.  The Virtual sets show up fine. I am using Vista Ultimate 64 bit (to accommodate the CS5) Should I re-install my CS3 ULTRA ?.  Although I have a MATROX LE card, not using it until Matrox releases update for CS5.

• 8. Re: Will CS3 work with CS5
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

There is no preview screen as there was in Ultra CS3. I have filed a FR (feature request) to restore the old interface and the multi-point selection, but it has been deferred.

If you want to continue using Ultra CS3, be sure to reintall one of the key programs of CS3 as well, like PS or FL, because otherwise Ultra will revert to trial mode.

1 person found this helpful