4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 11:34 AM by amstrat

Building Japanese website??

amstrat

I work for a company that has a few existing Foreign/International websites and I need to know the best way to go about building a site that will be viewed in Asia/Japan with Japanese characters. Is this a matter of using special fonts or is there an Encoding trick? I'd appreciate any help in this area before I get too far into it.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Building Japanese website??
          hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

can you read the following characters?

いくつかの既存の外国/国際サイトを持って、私は最善の方法についてで表示されるサイトを構築行く知る必要がある会社で働くアジア/日本、日本語の文字です。これは特殊なフォントを使用しての問題ですか、あるエンコーディングのトリックですか?私は遠くそれに入る前に私がこのエリア内の任意のヘルプを感謝します。

ありがとう!

もしそうなら、私は答えをみます。

Hans-G.

• 2. Re: Building Japanese website??
            amstrat Level 1

No Hans. All rectangles.

John

• 3. Re: Building Japanese website??
              hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi John,

first I'll show you what I would like to send you:

drjj.jpg

Two things are required (I hope I don't say anything what's actually granted):

1st Activate the character set in the browser (I use the IE). Can you read the japanese characters of URL: http://www.kanko.metro.tokyo.jp/? I made it this way (German Windows)

drj02b.jpg

2nd Activate the character set in the (first German DW help):

Dokumentkodierung
              Die Dokumentkodierung bestimmt den Zeichensatz, der in einem Dokument verwendet werden soll. Die Dokumentkodierung wird in einem meta-Tag im head-Abschnitt der Datei angegeben. Dadurch erkennen der Browser und Dreamweaver, wie das Dokument dekodiert werden soll und welche Schriften für die Anzeige des dekodierten Textes zu verwenden sind.

Wenn Sie beispielsweise „Westeuropäisch“ wählen, wird folgendes meta-Tag eingefügt: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">. Dreamweaver zeigt das Dokument mit den Schriften an, die Sie unter „Schrifteinstellungen“ für die Kodierung „Westeuropäisch“ ausgewählt haben. Ein Browser zeigt das Dokument mit den Schriften an, die der jeweilige Benutzer für die Kodierung „Westeuropäisch“ eingestellt hat.

Wenn Sie „Japanisch (Shift-JIS)“ auswählen, wird folgendes meta-Tag eingefügt: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS">. Dreamweaver zeigt das Dokument mit den Schriften an, die Sie für die Kodierung „Japanisch“ ausgewählt haben. Ein Browser zeigt das Dokument mit den Schriften an, die der jeweilige Benutzer für die Kodierung „Japanisch“ eingestellt hat.

Sie haben die Möglichkeit, eine andere Dokumentkodierung für eine Seite zu wählen. Außerdem können Sie die Standardkodierung ändern, die Dreamweaver zum Erstellen neuer Dokumente verwendet, einschließlich der Schriften, die zur Anzeige der einzelnen Kodierungen eingesetzt werden.

(Automated translation to English, you better look for DW's help)

Document encoding
              The document coding determines the character set to be used in the document. The document encoding is specified in a meta tag in head section of the file. Hence the detection of the browser, and Dreamweaver, as the document is to be decoded and used what fonts to display the decoded text.

Example, if you choose "Western European", the following is inserted meta-tag: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">. Dreamweaver displays the document with the fonts you have chosen the "Font Settings" for the encoding "Western European". A browser displays the document with the fonts, which engaged the respective users for the encoding "Western European".

If you are Japanese (Shift-JIS) select "The following shall be inserted meta-tag: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS">. Dreamweaver displays the document with the fonts you have selected for the encoding "Japanese". A browser displays the document with the fonts, which engaged the individual user to encode "Japanese".

You have the option of a different document encoding for a page to choose. You can also change the default encoding that uses Dreamweaver to create new documents, including the fonts used to display the various encodings.

drj03a.jpg

Hope it will lead you a step further.

Hans-G.

• 4. Re: Building Japanese website??
                amstrat Level 1

Thanks Hans very much for the info. I'm able to see the characters on the website. I'll look further at the DW help and do some testing.

John