6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 4:05 PM by shooternz

HDV Monitor Out?

tclark513 Level 3

How does CS5 handle HD preview on an external monitor?

Say one has the GTX 285 with two jacks...would you use a "y" adapter for two computer monitors and the other jack for HDTV?

Will CS5 know to send the signal out to the HDTV?

• 1. Re: HDV Monitor Out?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have two output connectors, you can have only two monitors.  You would need another card to support a third display device.  I do not have CS5 so I cannot answer about CS5, but I would assume it will let you direct the output like CS4 did..

• 2. Re: HDV Monitor Out?
            tclark513 Level 3

Why wouldn't the "y" adapter work?

If not...can you recommend a second "decent priced" video card for HD monitoring?  Simply plug it in and tell Premiere to out put to that card.

My main card is the GTX285.

• 3. Re: HDV Monitor Out?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know the only thing a "Y" adapter could do would be to output the same signal to both monitors.  Unless your "Y" adaptor has some smart circuitry that I am not aware of.

Just put any old card that you have in your system and see if it works.  My only concern would be dirver confusion.

• 4. Re: HDV Monitor Out?
                shooternz Level 6

Why dont you just use the 2nd monitor as the Playback preview monitor via the playback settings?

• 5. Re: HDV Monitor Out?
                  tclark513 Level 3

I need two monitors for my desktop editing...

• 6. Re: HDV Monitor Out?
                    shooternz Level 6

I vary my "previews in a few ways.

I have 2x PC monitors running the NLE. (plus I have 2 additional external HD monitors online also)

I preview using the tilde option

I preview to the second monitor

I preview to my externals via f/w and a DV device.  note: This of course is DV but displays as 16:9

There are minor synch issues with displaying to externals this way and they need little workarounds.

I also have a Black Magic Card but rarely use it. Too many issues.