17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2010 7:31 AM by the_wine_snob

Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?

Britt_Phillips

I want to fade one video into another so that both clips play at full opacity except at the fade point.

In other words, you know how you can use the transgradient fade in Photoshop to blend two images together? This is what I want to do with two video clips in Premiere Elements 7. How do I do it?

• 1. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you're talking about the cross-dissolve transition.

Have you tried it? (Just drag it from the Transitions panel onto the point where your two clips meet on the timeline.)

• 2. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
            Britt_Phillips Level 1

No I'm NOT talking about simply doing a transition between two clips. I do NOT want to transition AWAY from one clip TO another.

I want BOTH clips to REMAIN playing side by side.

Picture this:

Two clips side by side. BOTH clips are playing. In the middle of the screen where the two clips meet, this area is faded into each other... blended together as you can do in Photoshop using a gradient. I don't want to crop one video and place it on top of the other. This would only give me a splIt screen effect. It woUld also give me a very sharp line where the top video is cropped etc. Instead, I want to show BOTH videos and simply be able to blend the RIGHT EDGE of the 1st clip with the LEFT EDGE of the 2nd clip.

I also want to be able to control the level of the gradient blend and choose how far into each clip the gradient goes.

• 3. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
              Britt_Phillips Level 1

After reading my reply I felt as if I needed to make it even clearer.

I know I can simply use the fade out effect to slowly fade from one clip to reveal the clip on the lower video track. That however does NOT do what I want to achieve. Imagine one clip on top of another one. I want to control from where the fade starts. The difference is I do NOT want the clip to gradually fade out. I want to control the portion of the clip I fade and then maintain that fade to reveal the clip under that portion. Hope this makes sense to the right person who will understand what I'm trying to say here.

If you have Photoshop and you want to blend two images together, you simply use a transgradient blend on the top layer to reveal the image on the 2nd layer etc. The transgradient fade reveals the image gradually instead of sharply. I see this effect on TV all the time. It is used to bring video onto the screen and to hold it there. It is sometimes used in a dream or thought sequence etc.

• 4. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?

Now it sounds like you may be describing a split screen effect with a "ramp" effect applied between the two images.

Is that what you're trying to do?

As I've said, if you can describe clearly what you're wanting to do, we can almost always figure out a way to do it,Britt.

It's often helpful if you can post a link to an example of the effect on YouTube. A picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words.

• 5. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
                  Britt_Phillips Level 1

Alright... here's a web page that shows the simple transgradient effect...

http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/photoshop/transparent/gradient.html

I want to do the exact same thing except with VIDEO using Premeire Elements 7.

I want to layer one video on top of another and have BOTH videos playing at once for as long as I want.

Hope this clears it up.

• 6. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?

Yes, that is a split screen effect with a ramp effect  applied between them.

It's a bit difficult to describe briefly -- and I don't know how much experience you have with video editing. But basically, you put on clip on the Video 1 track and the other on the Video 2 track. Then you Scale and Position the clips by either dragging on the video frames' corner handles on the Monitor or by right-clicking on each clip, selecting the option to Show Properties and then, in the Motion settings, set Scale and Position numerically.

Once the clips are in position, apply the Ramp effect from the Effects panel, again open the Properties panel for the clip on Video 2 and adjust the Ramp settings as needed.

If you need more background on using effects and properties, having a look at my free Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials or pick up one of my books on Amazon.com or at the Muvipix store.

• 7. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
                      Britt_Phillips Level 1

Steve,

I don't see how the ramp effect will give me the clean gradient look I'm after. I simply want to show two video clips at once with one of them gradiently blending into the other. Is there a way to simply blend the edge of the top clip?

• 8. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
                        Britt_Phillips Level 1

The

Edge Feather effect so far has come the closest to doing what I want to do

. However, the edge feather does not allow me to do a true transparent feather. It also feathers all edges. Is there any way to only feather one side?

• 9. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
                          Britt_Phillips Level 1

I was hoping someone would come along with a solution. I really want to pull this effect off. I saw it again on TV last night. There has to be a way to do this in Pre.

• 10. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
                            nealeh Level 5

In what programme did you see it on TV last night? Is it in the programme or one of the advertisement breaks? Briefly describe the scene in which the effect is used.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
                              Britt_Phillips Level 1

It was in a commercial. I don't remember for what product. I do however remember the effect. It was just as I described above. If I had more info I would provide it. I really want the answer and so far I don't have it.

Today I was playing around with the edge feather and while I can slide the slider all the way to the right and produce a gradient transparent edge, I really want to be able to layer one video on top of another and only have one edge being gradiently blended into the video below.

• 12. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Basically, you are looking to do a PiP (Picture in Picture), but each "picture" will occupy 50% of the Frame Size with a soft edge between them. The Track Matte Keying, with a "Gradient" Matte will give you what you want. The Matte can be constructed in the Titler, but one has even more control with PS, IMO, and that is where I would create it.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?

There is a way to create a custom feathered edge using the track matte and a white-to-black gradient image, but it's really hard to describe in a few words unless you've got a good handle on how the track matte works. In my new "Cool Tricks" book I show you how to create a custom "dreamy" feathered edge step-by-step -- but even that takes quite a few steps. I'd even be glad to create the gradient pattern for you -- but, again, unless you understand how to use the track matte, it may not make much sense.

I'm sure there are a couple of ways to do it beyond that, but no instant way using the basic effects set that I know of.

• 14. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
                                    Britt_Phillips Level 1

Bill,

I have Photoshop CS2 and use it quite a bit. I also have over 300 volumes of Digital Juice products. I have done double alpha channel swipes before. I'm somewhat familliar with using track mattes although it's been a while. If you could list the steps for me it would help a great deal.

• 15. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
                                      Britt_Phillips Level 1

Steve,

It sounds like you and I are very similar in terms of being entrepreneurs. How about this... I'll send you one of my most popular DVD titles "Free Gas: How to save $20. to $50. every time you stop for gas." in exchange for your book! http://freegasdvd.com.

• 17. Re: Gradient Fade in Premeire Elements 7?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The steps that I would employee would be to create a Matte with the needed dimensions, and the proper Gradient/Feather (you can also add Blur, if more "feather" is later needed) and Import that as a .PSD. You will have your Video Clips on Video Tracks 1 & 2, and the Matte will be placed on Video Track 3. The Track Matte Keying Effect will be added to the Clip on Video Track 2, and linked to the Matte on Video Track 3, in effect Masking it to the limits of the Matte.

This TUTORIAL, though for the application of other Effects and a slightly different, though similar, workflow, might be useful. You WILL need to read between the lines a bit, especially as it is done in PrPro 2.0 and not PrE. Still, the concept is the exact same, and the workflow similar.

Good luck,

Hunt