11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 9:48 AM by nealeh

Goodbye Elements 8

howardmil18

Just to vent my anger.

I AM FINISHED WITH ELEMENTS 8!! After having a short run without crashes and a stupid update, I lost a project 3 times in the last 10 minutes.

HOW CAN A COMPANY PUT OUT A PRODUCT LIIKE THIS?? Then I say, in the world we live in today,,IT IS NOTHING NEW!! Good luck to all

the people who keep thinking that this program will magically CHANGE,,,,,it WONT!! Now to try to get the money back. And if not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Who cares. When I get my NEXT program at least I will be HAPPY for a longer time. GOODBYE SUCKER ADOBE!!

• 1. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, this is a user-to-user forum so, instead of your message going to Adobe, you just hawked a lugie at the people who spend dozens of hours a week here trying to help folks like you get up and running.

Please, if you'd like to contact Adobe, write to Adobe. You can reach them by clicking the big Contact button at the top of this page.

• 2. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
            nealeh Level 5

Let us know what software you eventually go with and how you get on with it. This is always useful information to other forum users that prefer not to continue to work with PRE8.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
              howardmil18 Level 1

Did not mean to hit you guys in the face! I understand the work you do to

help. By the way, Do you have the same problems with Elements 8? (or is this

a loaded question)

• 4. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The update has resolved nearly all of the problems with version 8. It should run just fine on an up-to-date system with adequate power while editing standard (MiniDV, HDV or AVCHD) video.

I'm not sure why you are having problems -- but I do encourage you to contact Adobe. We will not likely be able to walk you through the necessary troubleshooting on this forum.

• 5. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
                  howardmil18 Level 1

i do not use the Nvidia graphics card. I use ATI Radeon 3600 (latest)

Intel r core TM 2 quad CPU   Q6600   @2,40 ghz  2.39 ghz 6.0 gb ram,.,.64

bit operating system on windows 7

I just googled tons of programs,,,and darn it,,,,,,overall Premiere Elements

8 still seems to be the best choice (IF IT WORKS) and now am desperate

to find out how to CURE my crashing problems.  S O S  >>>>>PLEASE

HOWARD

• 6. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
                    Wucky Level 1

Howard  - - -

Some comments for you from one of the lesser-savvy folks.

*  This stuff is not easy to get at first.   Even with tutorials, books and an AWESOME resource like this forum, it will take time to learn.

*  Things have become more complex with the advent of HD video, different formats, HDD cameras, and the like.   Good news---  taking video has become more convenient.  Good news---  quality of video taken has become much higher  (some of the HD stuff I shoot is great).    Bad news---  it has become more complicated and, in most cases, the computational power required by the PC is much larger.   Good news---  PCs are cheap.   Bad news--- you need to know what to buy

* I started with the program with version 3.  It took some time to learn.  But I kept with it for a couple years and appreciated the software.  I took a break for 18 months and am now relearning with all the new formats and versions.   It's more complicated, but the  ways to learn:

1) Browse ths forum...  read the FAQs  ... look at topics that seem relevant  ...  search.

2) Get a book.  There are a few available.  Amazon even has a Premiere Elements Group.    I'll tell you my preference  - - -  anything with the name of Steve Grisetti or Chuck Engels.  These guys are knowledgable and their books are well written and "accessible".  Also,  as they carried this forum for a long time, I think we owe them something.

3) 60% of the battle is capturing the video from your camera and then getting it into a format that PreEl can use.   As you'll read here, the simplest is a tape based camera attached to a PC via firewire.   Unfortunately, most new cameras don't meet that spec.     So, search the forums for your particular camera model or video format....   a) how to capture it on your PC   and  b) if needed  ---  how to convert it to a editable format (without losing quality).

If you can be more specific as to the model and format, there are guys on this forum who can suggest ways to convert.   It might involve your installing a new piece of software (which will likely be free or very low cost).

4) Once you can get it into the right format, and into a Premiere Elements project, then the fun starts!  And, it can be great fun ...   like any powerful software, there are countless capabilities and things to learn.   However, as you get further into it you will be amazed at what you can do.   With the help of folks on this forum I've brought joy to people with videos.

5) No matter how frustrated you become  ----  and it can be VERY frustrating  ---   stick with it.  Also,  ALWAYS remember   ....  the folks on this forum are just regular folk.    Skilled & knowledagble, but regular folk who--- for some strange and wonderful reason  ---  are willing to help others.   Always, always be appreciative of there efforts.

• 7. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
                      nealeh Level 5

I run PRE7 successfully on W7-64 with a Q6600 processor and Nvidia card. You need to give some more information on:

• PC: how many disks? How much defragmented space is available? Are they internal or external? What background processes do you have running?
                      • Video: Brand, Model, settings. How did the clip get onto the PC?

See Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
                        A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

• 9. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
                          howardmil18 Level 1

The crashes never happened with elements 7. There are many people who have

this problem with it crashing

I notice that this ALWAYS HAPPENS before my elements 8 crashes.

I start to do video EFFECTS and the effect box i hit FREEZES or takes a

while to OPEN up>>>THEN I KNOW IT USUALLY WILL CRASH and im in trouble.

howard

• 10. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
                            howardmil18 Level 1

dell xp 420  Intel r core (TM) 2 quad CPU q 6600 @ 2.40 ghz and 2.39 ghz,,,

6 gb ram

64 bit operating system

212 gb free on C: drive storagge disk 825 gb free on storage   internal

drives and my graphics card is LATEST Radeon 3600

I had no problems with Premiere 7 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but went to premiere 8

and everything got this way,,,,as you can read from many other users.

I take mpeg 2 vob files and other video files to import onto the program .

By the way,,,,when i would rip a clip from a dvd in Premiere 7 and convert

it to WMV file,,,,import to premiere 7,,,I had no problems with WMV file.

With elements 8  the WMV file jumps and moves and skips in each sequence.

Impossible to edit on *. premeire 8

Howard

• 11. Re: Goodbye Elements 8
                              nealeh Level 5

Do your clips have a red line above them? If so this means that your footage is not ideal for PRE (possibly you have used the wrong preset) and previews will be poor. You can render the previews by pressing [enter]. After a while the line will go green. To get the best out of PRE you should convert the files to DV-AVI (standard definition) or HDV (high definition) before importing them. There are entries in the FAQ on how to do this.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale