3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 6:44 AM by tclark513

Switching from Mac to Windows for CS5

TomPerrone

I need the wisdom of the crowd...

I own the CS4 Production Premiere bundle for Mac. With CS5 coming out, I'm thinking of switching (back) to a Win7 PC - specifically for video editing. My footage is predominantly from the Canon 5D2 and I mostly edit on a Macbook Pro.  I have not seen any literature that the CS5 version of premiere or the Mercury playback engine will stop my footage from stutterinhg in Premiere Pro. I can live with longer render times, but don't want to transcode media in order to edit/playback in realtime. Even previewing a clip in PPro on the Mac will cause stuttter.

Rather than deck out a Mac Pro with Cuda card I'm thinking of going back to Windows and building an editing station with an i7 core and cuda card.  It also means going through the cross-platform licensing process again (I originally came from the PC world)

I'm really stuck with what to do here and would love the wisdom of the group

Thanks in advance

Tom

• 1. Re: Switching from Mac to Windows for CS5
          pmasters8941 Level 1

I would check with Adobe first before you make that move. I do believe that you can only cross platforms one time for each version. In other words, you would have to buy the Mac CS5 upgrade and then cross platform exchange from Mac to Windows if you had already cross exchanged your CS4 license. The reason I say this is I found out the hard way.

Your idea sounds like a wise one in that the additional money you would save in going to PC could be used in other areas such as more storage and more RAM.

Macs are nice especially if you use anything in the Final Cut Studio suite. CS5 now makes me not have to depend on ProRes any longer. I say do it, take the plunge and make the move.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Switching from Mac to Windows for CS5
            tclark513 Level 3

TomPerrone wrote:

I need the wisdom of the crowd...

I own the CS4 Production Premiere bundle for Mac. With CS5 coming out, I'm thinking of switching (back) to a Win7 PC - specifically for video editing. My footage is predominantly from the Canon 5D2 and I mostly edit on a Macbook Pro.  I have not seen any literature that the CS5 version of premiere or the Mercury playback engine will stop my footage from stutterinhg in Premiere Pro. I can live with longer render times, but don't want to transcode media in order to edit/playback in realtime. Even previewing a clip in PPro on the Mac will cause stuttter.

Rather than deck out a Mac Pro with Cuda card I'm thinking of going back to Windows and building an editing station with an i7 core and cuda card.  It also means going through the cross-platform licensing process again (I originally came from the PC world)

I'm really stuck with what to do here and would love the wisdom of the group

Thanks in advance

Tom

Going back to the PC is a great idea.  I built a great system that would cost double what I put together on the MAC.  No brainer really.  I bet the difference in cost when cross-platform licensing changes you will still be ahead.

1 person found this helpful