3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 2:30 AM by try67

Is Adobe discontinuing support for SOAP collaboration?

wildcathoya

I have heard that Adobe intends to discontinue support for collaborative reviews using the Javascript SOAP object (e.g. Collab,addAnnotStore(), etc.).  My understanding is that in future Acrobat versions Adobe will only support "shared reviews" for collaborative reviews.

If that's true, then anyone who trusted Adobe and its documentation since Acrobat 5 (2002 or thereabouts) and developed a document review solution based on SOAP collaboration is, to put it bluntly, SOL.  ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=S.O.L. )

Can anyone answer this question definitively and authoritatively?  Will Adobe discontinue support of the Javascript SOAP object?

Perhaps it's time to move on to the iPad and Google.

• 1. Re: Is Adobe discontinuing support for SOAP collaboration?
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I don't anyone but Adobe employees might know about the future direction of Acrobat. Most are probably under NDA and couldn't answer if they know. Only an Adobe Acrobat project manager might be in a position to make a definitive statement.

Where you have heard this rumor from?

• 2. Re: Is Adobe discontinuing support for SOAP collaboration?
            wildcathoya Level 1

Watch "Shared Review with Acrobat and Acrobat.com." http://www.acrobatusers.com/events/2120/shared-review-acrobat-and-acrobatcom.

At about 6:30 minutes into the presentation, the presenter (Ali Hanyaloglu) says that browser-based reviews are being deprecated.  When I followed up with Acrobat for clarification, they made it pretty clear that the Javascript SOAP object (Collab), which is the basis of browser-based reviews, would not be supported in future versions.

If true, then it will be a disaster for my customer, which is a DOE national laboratory.  We developed a very robust ASP.NET browser-based review solution for this lab that relies on the SOAP object for annotation uploads and downloads.  Since 2006, 178 reviewers have entered 86,663 comments on 8112 documents, and just today 13 reviewers entered 380 comments on 155 documents.  (The figures are accurate and exact because they're from a query I just ran against our SQL database, where we store the reviewer comments.)

At the moment, I don't see any way of migrating our customer from Javascript SOAP to "shared reviews" without losing about 80% of the functionality for supporting document reviews on a large scale, which includes many ancillary features for assigning docs and reviewers to review cycles, creating and managing multiphase document review workflows (setup, review, disposition, author response, final resolution), importing reviewer lists from Active Directory, importing review cycle schedules and assignments from our project management system, dispositioning comments by senior editors, exporting comments to Excel spreadsheets for document authors and auditors, etc.  And "shared reviews" certainly will not be nearly as scalable as our current solution.

If it's true that Adobe will discontinue support, then it's a terrible and very short-sighted decision by Adobe and gives some indication or their level-of-concern for, and loyalty to, third-party Adobe developers.

Of course, I shouldn't complain: it will mean more work and improved job security for me and my colleagues because now we'll have to come up with an entirely new solution based on "shared reviews."   Or perhaps we'll find or develop a solution that doesn't rely on Adobe at all.

Thanks Adobe, thanks a lot. 

• 3. Re: Is Adobe discontinuing support for SOAP collaboration?
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

"Deprecated" and "not supported" doesn't mean it will not work anymore, just

that it's not the recommended method of doing it, as I understand it.