14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2010 7:22 AM by the_wine_snob

JPG size limit in PE8??

BradStamm

I am trying the trial version of PE8 to see if it is worth upgrading from my prior PE6.

When I try to add a still JPG (large at 5600X3700 to allow good pan and zoom) I get an error message:

"Generic Failure. This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"

I can import these pictures using Organizer and they appear in the right side media selection window in PE8 just fine. If I try to drag them onto the Time Line I get the error however.

I have tried reducing the size of the JPG to 2500X2500 and these appear to go onto the time line with no problem.

Is there some size limit to JPGs that PE8 can work with?? Is there a work around other than using Lightroom to reduce the size of the JPG?

Thank you

Brad Stamm

• 1. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
          nealeh Level 5

If you expect to do some pan and zoom, 1000 x 750 is usually recommended for SD and 2000 x 1500 for HD. If they are purely static images then you are best to resize them in PSE (or other preferred photo editor) to your target output size. e.g. for SD NTSC 720 x 480.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
            Anthony Abegglen Level 1

My suggestion is to convert the JPG to TIFF or PNG or TARGA and PSD . I use a free program call My Image Rizer it rizes and batch converts very quick a eazly and saves a lot of headaches.

Hope that helps

• 3. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Brad,

The limit is 4096 pixels in the largest dimension, but it only takes a few of those, and all but the most powerful systems will choke quickly.

For resizing, this ARTICLE might prove useful. As most of my images start in Camera RAW, I just maintain a PSD workflow, and never use JPEG's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                BradStamm Level 1

Thank you for the help.

Your tread link was very good. We appreciate your dedication to those of us

with less knowledge.

Brad Stamm

• 5. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Brad,

You are most welcome. We try our best to make the overall editing experience as good, as is possible.

Hope that the article is helpful. Now, there are some differences between the capabilities of Photoshop and PSElements. I have attempted to get someone, with knowledge of PSE to add that program's exact workflow, but have not been successful. I just do not know it, having been a PS user for several decades. Wish that some PSE guru would step up and add to that workflow article, specifically for PSE. Though the two programs have strong similarities, there are also differences.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 6. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

You wrote:

The limit is 4096 pixels in the largest dimension, but it only takes a few of those, and all but the most powerful systems will choke quickly.

Could you recheck that and give that more thought? I believe the Adobe Premiere Elements Help PDF claims support for stills up to 4096 x 4096 pixels. But, 4096 is not the largest dimension since, if you try it, you will see that the determining factor is the total number of pixels 4096 x 4096 = 16777216, not 4096 as the largest dimension.

For example, 5000 x 3750 (4:3) would not work because 5000 x 3750 = 18750000. And, with Premiere Elements 7 or 8 Get Media/Files and Folders, you would get a message File video dimensions (width/height) too large. But, 4500 x 3450 (4:3) would import successfully since 4600 x 3450 = 15870000. There are all sorts of math possibilities. Key is not to exceed 16777216.

As you said, typically you would choke the system with images with these sizes, and the highest export resolution is 1920 x 1080. That Help PDF max file support size plus "Premiere Elements will automatically resize photos for you" need more explanation than that which is provided in Adobe description. So, why do they give that high a limit. I saw one conjecture that it had to set a limit somewhere so users would not crash their PCs????

I looked into this a while back and just re-did it with Premiere Elements 7 and 8 to verify that my recollection was OK.

ATR

Add On...have you read the Adobe TechNote "Maximum image size limits in Photoshop Elements 5.0 and 6.0"

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402760.html

• 7. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

PrE could well be different than PrPro, which is 4096 on the largest dimension.

Hunt

• 8. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

What version of Premiere Elements do you use when you are not using one of the Premiere Pro versions? Any chance you could check it out?

Are you saying that you have tried a similar mini test protocol for this max still size in Premiere Pro and you cannot get, for example, a 4600 x 3450 to import into the program. That would seem a strange difference between Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements.

If you get a chance, I would appreciate any follow up on this Premiere Pro point. Unfortunately, it looks like I am a Premiere Elements only person (life sentence).

ATR

• 9. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Based on the Help files in PrPro, I have not tested the limits on still images. Since there is nothing to show, beyond the Frame Size of the Project, I have taken the limits listed as gospel, but have had zero reason to explore them any further. When I need to Pan on a Zoomed out image, I calculate what I need and Scale to that.

Even if PrE can handle 4600 x 3450, I think that one will find that they hit another ceiling, with regards to more than just a few such images.

If I need to do work with a "photo-wall," I just use AE, as it is easier at handling giant still images, beyond the comp Frame Size. How does your system work with a half-dozen 4600 x 3450 images?

As for PrE, I use version 4.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I would never dream of bringing in images of those sizes into Premiere Elements (any version).

ATR

• 11. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                              nealeh Level 5

I've tried importing two jpg files. 4600x3450 imports. 5000x3750 produces this error:

5000x3750.png

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Those file sizes are definitely in the Twilight Zone, guys!

I'm with Hunt. For standard video and in most cases, use 1000x750 pixels.  For hi-def, use no larger than 2000x1500 -- but realize that even several at this size may choke your system.

• 13. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                                  nealeh Level 5

Hear, hear.

Just because something CAN be done, does not mean that it SHOULD be done. 

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale

• 14. Re: JPG size limit in PE8??
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

That has been my thinking too.

Some time back, and as a test, I did several animated photo-walls in PrPro with 4000 x 4000 pixel images. At 5, my workstation really slowed down. I moved everything to an AE Comp and easily completed the Project.

That same workstation has no issues with an 8+ hr. opus with 2000+ Project-sized images, 100's of 3D MOV animations, 100's of Titles, and over 100 AVI files, in 19 Sequences - no slowdown what so ever.

Just some observations,

Hunt