3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 5:47 AM by Colin Brougham

Chapter Marks

sukuso Level 1

A few months ago I upgraded to Windows 7. I noticed since then that when I create a project in Premiere Pro CS4 with Chapter Marks and when
      I render out the project and then bring it into Encore it is not keeping the chapter marks. Is there a fix for this? Or am I overlooking something?

• 1. Re: Chapter Marks
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Or am I overlooking something?

Make sure that you are giving each chapter marker a name; even if you don't plan on creating a chapter menu, each marker much have a character or string of characters in the "Name" field.

Check the help file for more information. Even though it says you "can name chapter markers," it should say you "must name chapter markers."

• 2. Re: Chapter Marks
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Colin, I assume you meant "must name chapter markers."  But is that true?  It wasn't in CS3, where it was true of the use of sequence markers to get a chapter marker to Encore when you exported an AVI.  But that is no longer available in CS4.  (I don't have CS4.)

Sukuso, you cannot render out and have the chapter markers survive; only by using the send to encore feature.  On the other hand, when you place the chapter markers and render (I assume to m2v or mpg), you ensure the gops are structured to allow you to create the chapter markers where you want them in Encore.

• 3. Re: Chapter Marks
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks Stan; yet, I meant "name". I can't change the post so maybe a mod would do so so that the information is correct.

Unfortunately, CS4 changed the marker exporter paradigm quite a bit. There are now specific Encore chapter markers for sending out chapters; you can't use sequence markers any more. They must be named, or the export/send-to operation ignores them. You don't actually have to use the names--for example, I frequently send out timelines with 25+ markers that aren't going to appear in a chapter selection menu--but unless there is something in that field, they won't show up in Encore.

Also, we lost the ability (as far as I've found) to export markers along with an AVI file. This used to make it easy to create a chapter-ferrying intermediate AVI that could be imported into Encore to create the chapter marks, and then the AVI would be replaced with an externally-encoded MPEG2 file. Alas, 'tis no more...

...you cannot render out and have the chapter markers survive; only by using the send to encore feature.  On the other hand, when you place the chapter markers and render (I assume to m2v or mpg), you ensure the gops are structured to allow you to create the chapter markers where you want them in Encore.

Not quite; if you export using the MPEG2-DVD format, and you have chapter markers properly set up in your sequence, then they ARE exported along with the M2V. However, they exist in the sidecar XMP file, and not in the MPEG2 stream itself; when you import the M2V into Encore, the chapter markers are read from the XMP file and placed correctly in the Encore timeline.