I have a new, fast, high-spec PC, with a fresh install of
Topic changes or manual saves occasionally take a second or
two, but mostly take half a minute. Topics aren't that big, as I
try to limit the page size to no more than 6 scroll-downs. Only 214
topics in all.
The CPD file was 4.8Mb!
I backed up the CPD and XPJ files, then:
- I tried compacting the CPD database using Jetcomp, which
reduced it to about 900Kb. Problem still the same.
- I deleted the CPD and XPJ files, and rebuilt from the HHP
file, but it wiped all my conditional build tags, so this won't do.
Surely there must be a fix for a product with this long a
I don't get home until Sunday but after that you can send me
the project to which you are referring. I will run it on a fast and
medium PC and time things. Please do not send it before.
Deleting the CPD and XPJ will lose your build tags but you
only have to recreate the tags. You don't have to go through the
topics to reapply them. That is provided you use exactly the same
names. See the topic on my site about Opening Projects.
Meantime, create a new project and keep clicking New Topic.
Accept the defaults and generate as many topics as you can. Ideally
214 if you get my point! Then see if you have the same trouble with
Thanks again for offering to help. The PC is 3GHz P4 with
533MHz front side bus, 1.5Gb RAM, fast IDE drives (50Mb/sec in
I tried your solution; added Build Tags back in; also the
Single Source layouts needed setting up again. (I'm glad I haven't
reached the end of the job, as there are about 8 different WebHelp
outputs to be built). Several topics ended up in the Broken Links
section; adding each one back in took 20-30 seconds per topic. I'm
wondering what else is missing... Ah! The Templates have
To give you some idea of file size, the CHM is 7.3 Mb.