10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2007 2:35 PM by kglad

Dynamic text not showing

kimester
      I am going through the Flash 8 Actionscript (Training from the Source) textbook. The last two exercises I went through set up functions that send a response to a dynamic text box. However, even though my code is exactly the same as the books completed file, my text does not work when I test the file. I'm thinking that there is some sort of setting within the books completed file that is not set the same as my flash defaults. I can't seem to find the difference. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm at a standstill.
        • 1. Re: Dynamic text not showing
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          does your font need to be embedded (because you're rotating or changing the alpha or masking etc a textfield)?
          • 2. Re: Dynamic text not showing
            Level 7
            You have to embed the font for dynamic text regardless of if you are
            changing the display characteristics or not.

"kglad" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fcsdvl$oe4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > does your font need to be embedded (because you're rotating or changing
            > the alpha or masking etc a textfield)?

• 3. Re: Dynamic text not showing
              kimester Level 1
              How do I embed the font? The display characteristics are exactly the same.
              • 4. Re: Dynamic text not showing
                you have to embed the font regardless of what?

you can embed font using actionscript or in the authoring environment. it's easier in the authoring environment: click on your textfield and check the properties panel for embed.
                • 5. Re: Dynamic text not showing
                  Chaos7703 Level 1
                  I'm having the same problem with the same book, that's why I'm here in in fact. It's a Dynamic Field that's populated by a function that returns a string from a statically defined array. I traced the script and I know that the correct values get assigned to the text box, but nothing shows up. They show up fine in the finished version from the CD, but not at all otherwise. I tried embedding, all that did was increase the compile time to 8 seconds instead of 1. I tried switching the colors, layers. If I change it to a static text field it shows up no problem. But as a Dynamic Field--it just sits there. The author forgot to tell us something! Help us out. I was havin a good ole time working through the book until all the sudden--it didn't work and I can't figure out why.
                  Thanks Everyone
                  Todd
                  • 6. Re: Dynamic text not showing
                    clbeech Level 3
                    If you 'tried embedding' it should be working. when you click on the 'embed' button in the properties panel, did you select the second to fifth character sets and select ok?
                    • 7. Re: Dynamic text not showing
                      Chaos7703 Level 1
                      Yeah, I tried "All" first and I just tried "Basic Latin" (the fifth) but it still doesn't show. I've got trace statements in the script now and though the function that makes the assignment works, the assignment isn't happening for some reason. Here's the script:

function displayCableText():String {
                      var displayText:String;
                      if (currentChannel != 0) {
                      displayText = "You are viewing "+channelNames[currentChannel]+".";
                      } else {
                      displayText = "";
                      }
                      return displayText;
                      }
                      //Define a function that changes the displayed channel/screen.
                      function changeTheChannel(newChannel:Number) {
                      if (tvPower) {
                      currentChannel = newChannel;
                      tv_mc.screen_mc.gotoAndStop(newChannel+1);
                      remote_mc.light_mc.play();
                      cableDisplay = displayCableText();
                      trace(cableDisplay); //Evaluates to the appropriate text.
                      cableBox_mc.cableDisplay_txt.text = displayCableText(); //SHOULD make the assignment
                      trace(cableBox_mc.cableDisplay_txt.text); //Evaluates to NULL
                      }
                      }

The text box in question is cableBox_mc.cableDisplay_txt.text I don't know why it's not making the assignment???

Thanks Everyone
                      Todd
                      • 8. Re: Dynamic text not showing
                        and what's

trace(cableBox_mc.cableDisplay_txt)

reveal? undefined? if so, you have a path/name error.
                        • 9. Re: Dynamic text not showing
                          SayWaht79
                          I have a question that is a little bit different, but I'm hoping you guys can help me. I inserted a Dynamic Text box, and embedded my font, but when I preview certain characters are missing. I checked the embed field and it included the characters that were missing. Example: "we need 250.." reads as "we need 20...". When I change it to a static text box it shows everything, but for some reason it missis certain characters when its dynamic. Any help would be great, thanks.
                          • 10. Re: Dynamic text not showing
                            do you mean it displays, "we need 25..."? if yes, check your textfields with and its autoSize property and multiline property.

if no, copy just the bare minimum needed to display that issue where a textfiled should display "we need 250.." but displays "we need 20..".