10 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2010 9:09 AM by the_wine_snob

Rendering with No Sound

GuppyFish09

Hi everyone!

I seem to have resolved many of my previous problems, but now I have a video that is rendering with no sound.  The first time this happened, I rebooted and tried again, only to have the same thing happen again.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  I've spent hours on this project that is to be shown on Thursday night.

Here are my specs:

Dell Studio 155 - Vista

Intel Core Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 2 .10GHz

RAM - 4 GB

64-Bit Operating System

Graphics Driver(Updated last week) - Intel

Thanks so much in advance!

Karen

http://guppyfishweb.com

• 1. Re: Rendering with No Sound
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to post DETAILS about the video files you are using, starting with the CODEC used and going through every step of how you got the video from camera (brand and model) into your computer, going through your project settings (do they 100% match the video?) and through what you have done TO the file(s) and finally to your complete output settings

• 2. Re: Rendering with No Sound
            GuppyFish09 Level 1

Well, it's not my camera, so I don't know the make and model.  This is a

service I provide for my church... we have a dropbox in which they place the

files and I retrieve them.  I can tell you, however, that I have

successfully used footage from this camera for previous projects.  There are

also still photos... I used the organizer to create a slideshow and sent it

to PRE for inclusion in the project.

For most of the video, I am not using the audio from the video itself.  I

have inserted a soundtrack from an m4a file.  ALL AUDIO, both from the video

and audio files, plays fine in the preview but is gone once the video

renders.

For what it's worth, I have never really changed the project settings, so

they are the default ones.  In the Rendering settings, only "optimize

stills" is checked.  Maybe this is where my problem lies.

I'm trying to render as an mpeg.

I hope this provides more information.

Karen

• 3. Re: Rendering with No Sound
              GuppyFish09 Level 1

Here's an update:

I have tried rendering in windows media format and "MPEG1 Multimedia Compatible", both of which yielded a VERY small video that took up very little of the screen.  BUT the audio rendered fine?  What settings/format should I be using to get a quality movie with sound?  I've made only short, 30 second "bumper" videos thus far and have not had this problem.  ANY help will be appreciated!

Karen

• 4. Re: Rendering with No Sound
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I could be that m4a file, Karen.

Even though it plays fine in preview mode, quite often some codecs don't survive the transcoding to another file in Premiere Elements.

Try dropping an MP3 or, better yet, a WAV file on your timeline just as a test, output a WMV file as a test and see if you get different results.

• 5. Re: Rendering with No Sound
                  GuppyFish09 Level 1

Thanks, Steve!  I will try that.  The curious thing is that I did output as

WMV, and the audio worked just fine.  The picture was just really tiny.

I'll try and see what happens.

• 6. Re: Rendering with No Sound

Well, the default frame size for a WMV is only 320x240, so it is going to be small. But you need to have it small if you're going to display it online!

Besides, we're just experimenting.

If it works, try using Share/Personal Computer/AVI to output an AVI and see if the sound plays on it also.

• 7. Re: Rendering with No Sound
                      GuppyFish09 Level 1

Hey, Steve!

I rendered as an AVI, and all is well, even with the original audio file!!  I had converted the file to wav in case my experiment didn't work, but I think I'm good.  Since this one is not for the web and is to be shown on a huge screen at a banquet, I needed it to be big enough.  It took about an hour to render, but I'm cool with waiting if the results are this good.

Thanks for being so helpful.  I have 2 more videos to work on for this banquet (which is ironically for "volunteer appreciation" and I'm spending hours "volunteering" to get this ready for it.  Funny how the "quick and easy, free" projects take the most time).  With my web business, I normally work with Flash, so it's nice to know I can come here for help on this.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Karen

• 8. Re: Rendering with No Sound

Great news, Karen! Meantime, be sure to check out my other forum, the Community page at http://Muvipix.com.

A group of former Adobe forum regulars and I set up the site as a one-stop-shop for video advice, tutorials, media, sound effects, stock footage, custom created DVD menus and royalty free music. It's a great place to ask for advice from some of the smartest, friendliest people in the world and, at the very least, make some new friends.

• 9. Re: Rendering with No Sound
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Karen,

If you find yourself having to deal with all sorts of mixed Assets (source footage), the great, free utility, G-SPOT, will gather most necessary info, including the Frame Size, the Audio & Video CODEC's used, FPS, and much more. I would not be without that, as it tells me when I need to convert source footage, and allows me to to set up Projects to match my footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Rendering with No Sound
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Karen,

Do not know if this will apply, but this ARTICLE might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt