5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 4:39 PM by John T Smith

Canon HFS100 AVCHD to DVD Question

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have ordered the Canon Vixia HFS100 which records to AVCHD MPEG4-AVC / H.264

The site says it records to 60i, 24p Progressive (records at 60i), 30p Progressive (records at 60i)

For now, my end result will be downscaling HD to DVD (I've read that CS5 does this "well")

When the camera arrives and I start filming... what recording setting should I use to finally create a DVD?

• 1. Re: Canon HFS100 AVCHD to DVD Question
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I would use 60i for high-motion, action and sports scenes.

24p is good for low-motion, film-like storytelling scenes.

30p is virtually worthless: it can't capture high-motion like 60i, and it doesn't look as good as 24p for the low-motion stuff.  However, 30p not looking as good as 24p is a bit subjective, so YMMV.  Shoot some low-motion footage and compare for yourself.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Canon HFS100 AVCHD to DVD Question

Thanks for the ideas... this will "mostly" be for family video so I will test 24p (and 60i for the same kinds of scenes so I see if I notice much difference, and see if it is worth changing from one mode to another, or if I should just set it to 60i and leave it)

I also know a local youth soccer coach, so may go to one of his games and do some 60i footage to see how that works out when a DVD is created

For now, I don't have (or know anyone else who has) a BluRay player, so I'm hoping CS5 really does a good job at downsizing to SD for a DVD

I will also test filming at FXP 17Mbps and MXP 24Mbps to see if I notice any difference with downsizing to DVD

Asus P6 motherboard & i7 930 and 12Gig ram are due Thursday 4/29 and Canon camcorder is due Monday 5/3

Of course... I won't have CS5 until the University store I use has the Master Collection in stock... but I'm hoping that will happen in the next couple of weeks so I'll be able to install and start learning (CS5 Education is available @Adobe... the store I use will cost less so I will wait)

• 3. Re: Canon HFS100 AVCHD to DVD Question
              Colin Brougham Level 6

30p is virtually worthless..

While it may not have as much apparent utility as 60i, 60p, or 24p, I wouldn't go so far as to call 30p worthless, virtually or otherwise You are probably on to something as far as 30p not being well-suited for DVD playback in many/most shooting scenarios, 30p has become my de facto shooting format for anything that I know is going to be utilized solely on the web. It's a nice balance of enough frames to lessen some of the 24p judder and not too many frames to necessitate a bigger bitrate budget when it's encoding time. Plus, it eliminates the deinterlacing step which not only speeds the encode, but also results in (my opinion) better-looking encodes.

I realize the OP is asking about DVD, so I apologize for taking this a bit off-track, but it is something to keep in mind in case you're shooting something for web-only release. I don't know what kind of work (or hobby) shooting you'll be doing, so Jeff's suggestion of trying them all to see what works is the best bet. Anyway, it's another arrow in the quiver...

FWIW: one TV show I can think of that shoots in 30p (in case you want to see what it looks like) is Food Network's Good Eats... it looks... different... and you'll start to see it in other programming. For example, I think there are several soap operas that shoot in 30p now--not that I know anything about those

• 4. Re: Canon HFS100 AVCHD to DVD Question
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

30p has become my de facto shooting format for anything that I know is going to be utilized solely on the web.

Good point.  Video-to-web-only has never been a workflow for me, which is probably why I didn't consider it.  My web-only stuff is graphics and screen caps for my tutorials; anything with real video has been for delivery on disc, iPod and web simultaneously.  I can see how web-only video could benefit from 30p.

And I don't think you're taking the topic off-track.  John needs good input from multiple sources.  Maybe he didn't consider web-only video, either.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Canon HFS100 AVCHD to DVD Question

Hmm... wife and I do take digital still pictures of house and "child"

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/FLOWER.JPG

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/fs-pic.htm

But... I do not have time or inclination for MySpace or Facebook or Youtube, so I've never considered video to web

I guess if I lived in LA I could watch out for a drunken celeb... but since I don't, I'll just concentrate on family stuff and maybe my coach friend's soccer team

Now, I just have to start building when computer parts arrive Thursday and filming when Canon arrives next Monday... and then learning CS5 as soon as my University's online store has it available