8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 9:13 AM by John T Smith

CS5 and FX3800 vs FX4800 vs FX5800

Marty Miller

Hello All,

Here's the specs on my workstation:

ASUS Rampage II Extreme MOBO

OS and Applications: OCZ Z-Drive 256 GB (PCI-e, SSD RAID) read 750MB/Sec, write 650MB/sec

Assets: 5 Spindle RAID5 10,000 rpm SAS

12GB RAM

Intel i7-980x 3.33 x 6 core CPU

Win7 Pro

Video Card: NEED HELP HERE

Will I gain anything by spending more money on the FX5800 with 4GB VidRAM? Can I save some money and get the 3800?  Should I go middle of road on the 4800?  Where will the bottleneck be in this configuration?

Thanks!

Marty

• 1. Re: CS5 and FX3800 vs FX4800 vs FX5800
          shooternz Level 6

My opinion is no one has the answer to that (yet).

Unless some one does a controlled lab test with each of the cards, how would they know?

Not many users (editors) will do a test of that nature so unless a lab does one...we will never really know.

Even Bills Benchmark may not accurately show this because of the variable nature of the rest of the system / hardware.

FWIW: I bought the FX 3800.  I know it will be absolutely fine for what I do.

• 2. Re: CS5 and FX3800 vs FX4800 vs FX5800
            stevelyles Level 1

FWIW: I  bought the FX 3800.  I know it will be absolutely fine for what I do

thats the same for me in spite of all of my waffling on this issue I know this is the card that will suit my current and near future needs

steve

• 3. Re: CS5 and FX3800 vs FX4800 vs FX5800
              shooternz Level 6

We call this a "pragmatic" decision.

We must as editors ( pro or otherwise) ...remember that highest scores on a benchmark arent really what we are about.  Its not like we are 'Computer Racers' .

Achieving stable , productive systems that efficiently handle our workflows and the media we use is paramount.  A few seconds (or minutes)  saved here and there are kind of not so important to me.  I am just about to go into the Flame Suite and will point out ..that not much realtime occurs in there despite the massive computing power.

I am amazed at the level of excitement and enthusiasm for performance such as this version of CS5 has created!

• 4. Re: CS5 and FX3800 vs FX4800 vs FX5800
                stevelyles Level 1

We must as editors ( pro or otherwise) ...remember that highest scores  on a benchmark arent really what we are about.  Its not like we are  'Computer Racers'  you made my day shooternz....brilliant

• 5. Re: CS5 and FX3800 vs FX4800 vs FX5800
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Marty, In case you are not satisifed with your application disk performance with your 6-core system let me know and I will tell you how I sped things up.  By the way what SAS RAID card are you using?

As others have said until we get CS5 and can compare benchmarks it is hard to tell.

• 6. Re: CS5 and FX3800 vs FX4800 vs FX5800
                    Marty Miller Level 1

Hi Bill,

My SAS RAID card is a 3ware 9690SA-8I-KIT PCI-Express x8 SATA.

Would love to know how you sped things up on your system, not unhappy with the current performance of mine, just always looking to improve!

Marty

• 7. Re: CS5 and FX3800 vs FX4800 vs FX5800
                      Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

If you have CS4 and can run the PPBM4 benchmark and the score on the AVI test looks high aside of the posted scores let me know, or just email me your results.

Since 3ware is now owned by LSI I wonder what the differences are between the two lines?

PS:  I personally am checking eBay and open box pricing on the GTX-285 for a bargain at least for the interim solution until they announce the next round of cards.

• 8. Re: CS5 and FX3800 vs FX4800 vs FX5800
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My new hardware is on the way, due tomorrow (Yeah!) and I ordered a 285 - full list at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM 

For my hobbyist use, I feel the 285 is all I need (or can afford, since there is no payback as is the case with you professionals)

Plus, from what I've read about the new 480 card, it runs HOT and even has visible heat pipes that dump heat inside the case... so I personally would not be interested in one anyway