6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2010 10:52 PM by Igor Valentovitch

Share your exporting workflow for HD content

Igor Valentovitch Level 1

Dear Members of the Forum,

Could you please give me a piece of advice (or direct me to relevant posts) regarding setting the export video-audio settings in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3? Basically I’m looking for an Adobe Premiere Pro workflow for DV AVI and AVCHD files.

I have HD footage shot in both DV AVI - 30F(Canon HV40) and AVCHD – 30F (Canon HF200) formats. My goal is to export the edited footage with less possible quality loss into a format that could be played on the well known Western Digital HD Media Player: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735 or burned onto a BD disc.

What I’ve tried so far is to export the dv.avi footage shot with my Canon HV40 utilizing the ‘Movie’ preset in Adobe using both ‘Microsoft DV AVI’ and ‘Uncompressed Microsoft AVI’ settings. In both of the cases the exported file was not recognized by the WD hd media player. I'm not sure if it will be recognized by my BD player if I burn it on a BD disc.

Exporting in MPEG2 format through the ‘Adobe Media Encoder’ machine was successful and playable but naturally suffered from significantly reduced quality of the output compared to the input.

In short, what is the workflow you follow when exporting hd footage and aiming to achieve little quality loss in the output?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Share your exporting workflow for HD content
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS3 does not do a very good job of downscaling HD to SD.

Have a look at this:

http://invertedhorn.axspace.com/hdv2dvd_basic.html

• 2. Re: Share your exporting workflow for HD content

Thank you for the link. I'll atudy and try it.

My questions probably sound stupid as I'm new to video-editing.

I'm coming from film photography and I did a lot of reading on video shooting and editing but for some reason haven;t come across nice

description of how exactly to export the edited HD footage.

My point is that I aim to export footage shot in HD into a HD format (if there is such a phenomenon) that can be burned onto a BD disc or played on the WD HD media player I mentioned above. That is HDV-->HD video. I assume this is possible with CS3 but don't know how. Is there anything I can read on this topic?

Please, excuse me for the stupid questions.

Igor

• 3. Re: Share your exporting workflow for HD content
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No stupid questions only stupid answers.

You can export your HD content as BluRay mpeg or BR-H264.

Have a look at the export settings in de Adobe Media Encoder.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Share your exporting workflow for HD content

Thank you Ann. I followed your advice but still face some problems. Here is what I did:

1. Took my original AVCHD footage and converted it in .AVI files using Cineform Prospect HD.

2. Imported and edited the footage in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3

3. Exported the edited footage using the 'MPEG-2 Blu Ray' preset in the Adobe Media Encoder

4. Ended up with two files: the video in .M2V and audio in WAV.

This posed a new dilemma: how do I play these files on my Western Digital HD Media Player?

Should I use another converter to combine the M2V and WAV files into one playable file?

Or, I should use a software to burn those two files onto a DVD and play them on my DVD player?

I want to avoid burning BD discs as I don't have a BD burner at the moment.

In short, please help me understand how to export HDV edited content --> HD files with less possible loss of quality and to be able to

play the exported files either on on a regular DVD or even better to play them from

an external hard drive connected to my Western Digital HD Media Player. Here are the formats that the player supports:

Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9 

I guess many people faced the same predicament but I cannot find literature on the topic. Please help.

Thank you!

• 5. Re: Share your exporting workflow for HD content
                  sync2rhythm Level 1

All the files I've seen for the WD Media Player have been:

1920x1080 - h.264/.mov's... so that's what I started doing.

I did an overnight batch Transcode of a few different 1920x1080 HD formats in Squeeze to 1920x1080 - h.264/.mov's for a WD Player last week and had no complaints.

I would say edit your footage as usual then export 1920x1080 - h.264/.mov's.

• 6. Re: Share your exporting workflow for HD content

Thanks Sync2Rhythm.

I did as you suggested but after exporting in BD-h.264 I ended up again with two files: M4V file (video) and WAV file (sound).

The WD HD Media Player plays 'black' screen and a message 'no audio' pops out. I guess the exported file is not fully supported by the WD player,

Any ideas? Probably I should combine the video with the sound file into one but how?

Thanks