6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 11:30 PM by sally44

Book for beginners - Dreamweaver CS4

K. Usher Level 1

Hello all,

I thought this question might have been answered before, but a brief search of the forums has not been helpful so I am posting my question.

I just purchased CS4 Design Premium and have been teaching myself in the context of my job. Dreamweaver is proving especially hard to use.

Adobe's Classroom in a Book series is completely unhelpful, so I am looking for a better book. Preferably it would be one understandable for beginners but that teaches advanced enough topics to create a good website.

Thank you for your time!

• 1. Re: Book for beginners - Dreamweaver CS4
          bregent Most Valuable Participant

What is your level of experience with html and css? If the answer is little to none, then that's where to focus. Once you've mastered those skill, Dreamweaver is a piece of cake.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Book for beginners - Dreamweaver CS4
            Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A book that I find very very well written and can be used by users of all levels is 'Dreamweaver CS4 - The Missing Manual' by David Sawyer McFarland. I don't think I have ever not found an answer in it. It won't walk you through it lesson by lesson but is great reference on  how to do certain tasks.

Given that, the best resource I have found is the videos at Lynda.com. And of course the Adobe Forums! ;-)

Brad Lawryk
            Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver
            Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

• 3. Re: Book for beginners - Dreamweaver CS4
              K. Usher Level 1

I think that is definitely one of my problems - I have almost no experience with any sort of web design or coding. Thanks for the tip!

• 4. Re: Book for beginners - Dreamweaver CS4
                K. Usher Level 1

Thank you for the book suggestion, Brad!

I will also check out Lynda.com, I've heard great things about it.

• 5. Re: Book for beginners - Dreamweaver CS4
                  martcol Level 4

Hello,

Bregent makes a good point.  So, following through on that stuff your time with learning HTML/CSS.  There are heaps of tutorials out there and if you're a book kind of person, there's masses to spend your money on so, Amazon will love you!

I have the Missing Manual book and it is good.  David Powers also has a realy thorough manual type book that you could consider.

The next thing to do is set yourself a task i.e. build a web page/site and see how you get on.  It's one thing to ask, "How do I build a web site with DW" but you will eventualy be narrowing your quesions down to the practical stuff like, "How do I centter a page," or "How do I stop this element from flying off the page?"  Then maybe, "Why doesn't staring at this problem for three hours fix it?"

You could use the W3 Schools tutorials.  They are very good.

Martin

• 6. Re: Book for beginners - Dreamweaver CS4
                    sally44

I agree with: The Missing Manual by David Sawyer McFarland. Excellent book