10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 10:02 AM by Joe Bolt

Going to website after vid is done?

Joe Bolt

Greets -

Sorry for the lame question, but I don't have any good keywords and a search on Google and here turns up zillions of hits.

I have Flash 8.  I've loaded an AVI to the stage and converted it.  I'd like the SWF to go to a web page when it's finished playing.  I checked over the Action scripts and searched through the Help but got nowhere.  The answer to this little poser would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

• 1. Re: Going to website after vid is done?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the video embedded in the timeline such that it extends numerous frames?  If so, you can use the getURL() function at the last frame to make it navigate to a new web page.

• 2. Re: Going to website after vid is done?
            Joe Bolt Level 1

Ned -

I'm afraid I only use Flash 8 for the quick FLV/SWF conversion and have never used the timeline part.  Could you give me some 1-2-3 instructions on how to get to the last frame and do the getURL() routine?

Thanks,

Joe

• 3. Re: Going to website after vid is done?

I'm afraid I've never done what you are doing.  Describe the process you follow in this conversion and what you see as you are creating it and I'll see if I can offer something.

• 4. Re: Going to website after vid is done?
                Joe Bolt Level 1

Ned -

What I do is as straightforward as it gets.  I do an "Import to stage", load the source file, set up any parameters and let it fly.  If I'm just slapping it on a web page, all I want is the FLV and that's the end of the process.  In certain cases I want an SWF so I do the 'Publish' routine.  So all I see when the render is finished is the black box in the main window representing the vid.  I've never used the timeline part.  Is it a matter of going to the timeline, opening the 'properties' or whatever of the last frame, and then doing the getURL() routine?

Joe

• 5. Re: Going to website after vid is done?

Yes, open the timeline and see if your video occupies numerous frames along it.  If so, at the ending frame you will impklement the getURL() code.

• 6. Re: Going to website after vid is done?
                    Joe Bolt Level 1

Ned -

Well, we're closing in, but it doesn't appear the Actionscript is hooked up to the frame.  I right-clicked the last frame in the timeline, opened 'Action', punched in the code:

getURL("http://www.google.com","_blank");

then Published it, but it's not working.  I know the script recognizes the Action call because when run locally, a box pops up asking if it's okay to contact the Internet.  Running it from remote, it just did nothing at the end.

The thing is, I was expecting the frame to have some kind of individual 'properties' box where the Actionscript was put, but it just goes in the regular Actions window and doesn't appear to be linked to that one frame.

Thoughts?

Joe

• 7. Re: Going to website after vid is done?

Right click on the frame where you intend to place the code and choose Insert keyframe (best to create a new separate layer for actionscript).  With that frame selected, open the Actions window and enter the getURL code in the window.  IF the code is in that frame you will see a lower case "a" in it on the timeline.

Note, using "_blank" as a window argument will open a new browser window.  If the intention is to open in the same window use "_self"

• 8. Re: Going to website after vid is done?
                        Joe Bolt Level 1

Ned -

Ah, I love a good computer mystery.

Well, I've glanced over a few web pages and everyone says about the same thing:

- click on frame

- make keyframe

- punch in script

FWIW, the little "a" is appearing in the timeline.  Since it's still not working, there must be something else amiss.

- When selecting a 'New' project, I've been using "Flash Document".  Should it be one of the others?

- Is this a "Publish" routine, or something else, like "extract to movie"?

- Is there some stage after "punch in script" I'm missing?

T'anks,

Joe

• 9. Re: Going to website after vid is done?
                          Joe Bolt Level 1

I'll tell ya, it's only getting weirder.

A couple of online tutorials suggested making a new layer on the timeline and using its last keyframe for the Actionscript, but as soon as I make the keyframe -- the video disappears.  That was making both "keyframe" and "blank keyframe".

I wanted a mystery -- I got one!

Joe

• 10. Re: Going to website after vid is done?
                            Joe Bolt Level 1

Well, hum.

It appears it was working before, but the reason I didn't know it is because there's a long 8 or 9-second delay after the video finishes before going to the site.  I was just staring blankly at the screen wondering "Now what?" when suddenlly it worked.  That's using the first layer in the timeline since there's something strange going on with the second layer.

- Do you know how to add a keyframe to the second layer without wiping out the video?

- Got any ideas on the long delay?

Joe