3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 7:05 AM by nealeh

Device error when burning Blu Ray disk at 96%?

philip964 Level 1

Very simple program to use so far.  Just drag and drop.

My current project was shot in HD 1080p about 2  hours or 13 gig long and I made 4 lower resolution DVD's no problem.  I  like how it shrunk it with out me having to do anything other than check  the box (use space available)

However when I went to make Blu Rays in  addition to taking about 18 hours its gets right to the end and spits  the disk out unfinished and has device error at about 96% of burning  finished. Disk will not play.

I have ruined 3 blank  4x blu ray disks so far,  same result.  I have down loaded and installed the 8.01 update, I will  turn off the screen saver and anything else I can find, before I try it  again.

Its  a brand new computer with only PE8 running on it.  Quad core Gateway with 8  gig ram and a almost empty 1tb hard drive and LG blue ray writer. Yes it has a nvidia graphics card.

I have not  tried to burn anything else with the blu ray writer, as thats what PE8  was for.

I  did not have the timeline fully rendered before I started, if that  makes any difference.

Anybody have any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Philip

• 1. Re: Device error when burning Blu Ray disk at 96%?
          nealeh Level 5

philip964 wrote:

Its  a brand new computer

This almost certainly means that every driver on the PC will be out of date - suppliers produce their hard disk masters well in advance of releasing the product. So, create a system restore point and then update:

• All available Windows Update updates
          • Graphics Driver (from manufacturers web site)
          • Sound Card driver (from manufacturers website)
          • Burner firmware
          • QuickTime to 7.6.6

Before burning close any system intensive unnecessary programs.  Let us know if this gives any improvement.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Device error when burning Blu Ray disk at 96%?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Neale. If you're getting an error that late in your BluRay burn, it's probably not an error in transcoding. It's more likely something going wrong in the burn itself.

So it could be an outdated driver. Or, if you're using Windows 7 64-bit, it could be an incompatible driver, in which case there is no easy solution.

• 3. Re: Device error when burning Blu Ray disk at 96%?
              nealeh Level 5

Going off at a tangent, if we presume transcoding complete (that seems the most likely) I wonder if PRE uses temporary storage for the entire disk image before it starts to burn.

If so this could be a roundabout way of creating a 'burn BluRay to folder' feature. It wouldn't be quite as effective as the DVD burn to folder because you would have to have a BD drive to start the process (whereas you don't need a DVD drive to burn to folder). But if it worked you could just pop in a rewriteable BD disk, monitor PRE's working folder and abort the burn once the folder was fully created. You then could burn that folder with your preferred burning application.

Not having a BluRay burner I can't test this but perhaps someone with a burner could look into it. Likely places I'd suggest monitoring are the scratch folders and %temp%.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children