4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 7:51 AM by William-01

P versus H1

William-01 Level 1

What is the proper way to handle this.

<body>
      <h1>This is where I will put the main copy.<br />The copy will continue on this line.</h1>
      <h2>Additional copy will go here. <em>Part of it is bold?</em></h2>
      </body>
      </html>

Is it more appropriate to  use a <p> for the second line and <em> or <b> to make "Part of it is Bold" stand out more and then increase the text-size?

Ideally I would like both lines to act as a heading, but having control of the "Part of it is Bold".

I just don't what the proper structure is i.e. can I use two heading tags as I am doing or do I need to use <p> and adjust font size and format.

william-01

• 1. Re: P versus H1
          osgood_ Level 8

William-01 wrote:

What is the proper way to handle this.

<body>
          <h1>This is where I will put the main copy.<br />The copy will continue on this line.</h1>
          <h2>Additional copy will go here. <em>Part of it is bold?</em></h2>
          </body>
          </html>

Is it more appropriate to  use a <p> for the second line and <em> or <b> to make "Part of it is Bold" stand out more and then increase the text-size?

Ideally I would like both lines to act as a heading, but having control of the "Part of it is Bold".

I just don't what the proper structure is i.e. can I use two heading tags as I am doing or do I need to use <p> and adjust font size and format.

william-01

h1, h2, h3 are used for headings.

So you need to identify your headings in order of importance and use logical text.

<h1>Most important heading</h1>

<p>Text which relates to most important heading<p>

<h2>Less prominant heading</h2>

<p>Text which relates to less prominant heading</p>

Yes you can use a <br /> (if required but not an awfully good idea where text would normally just run on)

<h1>Most important<br /> heading</h1>

Use <strong></strong> to enbolden text sections.

<p>The company produces <strong>highly acclaimed</strong> music videos</p>

• 2. Re: P versus H1
            William-01 Level 1

Can headings be on more than one line?

For example, if I want my heading to be a punch list of items. Coffee, Beer, Milk, Juice etc. For the purposes of layout and design, can I stack a heading using <br /> or are you saying heading should be all on one line?

I'm just trying to understand the proper structure.

• 3. Re: P versus H1
              osgood_ Level 8

William-01 wrote:

Can headings be on more than one line?

For example, if I want my heading to be a punch list of items. Coffee, Beer, Milk, Juice etc. For the purposes of layout and design, can I stack a heading using <br /> or are you saying heading should be all on one line?

I'm just trying to understand the proper structure.

A list of items is a list NOT a heading.

Here's the difference

<h1>We are suppliers of coffee, beer, milk and juice<h1> (could be a prominant heading to inform what you supply)

Coffee

Beer

Milk

Juice

is to my thinking just a plain list and as such you would use an unordered list for layout purposes:

<ul>

<li>Coffee</li>

<li>Beer</li>

<li>Milk</li>

<li>Juice</li>

<ul>

Headings don't have to be on one line but placing a <br /> in the structure is manipulating the layout into a list structure which is not a heading, it's a list

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: P versus H1
                William-01 Level 1

Got it!

So much to learn about proper formating. I appreciate your patience.