7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 4:10 PM by the_wine_snob

Help with audio crossfade

abg_0201

Hi all, please accept my appologies if this is in the wrong forum, or if ithas already been answered elsewhare - ive searched but no luck!

I am new to premier elements 8, a previous 3 user. I am trying to use the audio crossfade transition but without luck. I drag the icon onto the audio track between two clips, but I cannot place it in the centre of the two clips, only on one clip or the other. I have been to the properties section and selected 'centre at cut' which places the transition over both audio clips, but the audio does not merge and fade at all.

I am sure this is a user error on my part, but I cant figure out what I am doing wrong!

p.s., despite downloading all the updates, I am still seeing the 'display performance will be poor due to incorrectly operating graphics card or driver'. Will this ever get sorted?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

• 1. Re: Help with audio crossfade
          nealeh Level 5

What preset are you using?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Help with audio crossfade
            abg_0201 Level 1

wow, thanks for the quick reply. I am trying to use either the constant gain or the constant power. Both result in the same problem.

• 3. Re: Help with audio crossfade
              alanst2 Level 1

I had the same problem, and solved it.

Have you got 'handles' at the end of the outgoing and beginning of the incoming clips? i.e. a small amount of the clip that is unused. If you have used the clips right to the last frame and right from the first frame then PrE has nothing to fade out and in to. The fade out starts at the cut point, also the fade in. If there is no 'overlap' of 'unused' clip then PrE can't crossfade.

The answer is not to use the clip to the last frame nor from the first frame if you intend to do a video or audio crossfade.

I'm not sure I've explained clearly but I know what I meant!!

I use PrE8.01. Not sure of earlier versions

Alan S.

• 4. Re: Help with audio crossfade
                nealeh Level 5

I meant what project preset you chose when creating the project. I'm wondering if your audio source differs from the project preset chosen. For example  others have had problems with AVCHD 5.1 channel sound.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Help with audio crossfade
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Alan's comment on Handles (very important concept for both Audio & Video), is there any gap between the Audio Clips? That will get the behavior that you describe too.

Now, one can apply the Fade-out to one Clip, and then the Fade-in to the following Clip for the same effect.

For more background on Handles, these images might be helpful:

Handles_01.jpg

Handles_02.jpg

The A-B Roll shows the Video, but it's the same with Audio.

Good luck, and hope that this helps.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Help with audio crossfade
                    abg_0201 Level 1

Thank you all for your tips. Indeed, the problem was that I had used the clip to the final frame. When editing the ends in I was able to crossfade.

Thanks again all - my noob error!

Andy.

• 7. Re: Help with audio crossfade
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

Glad that you have a "handle" on the issue - pun intended.

At first, the concept of Handles is a bit abstract, especially if one is not using an older A-B Roll editing program, but when dealing with Transitions, both Audio & Video, is very important. They are why I recommend that one start the camera before the "action," and then continue to record a few seconds, after where I intend to "cut."

Good luck,

Hunt