10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 8:05 AM by DOT Cartographer

Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette

DOT Cartographer Level 1

Hello!  I have a custom Graphic Style library from which all the linework on a map is drawn.  While proofreading a map, the occasion arises where I'll question whether or not a specific line was drawn with the correct characteristics (ie-- is this state highway drawn in designated state highway style).  In FreeHand, you'd select the line, and the style name in which it was drawn would highlight.  How can I do this in AI?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

edited: why would you not have the graphic style in the graphic style panel?

what purpose does this serve?

Actually I do I guess I do not understand how you opened this document where all you graphic styles are not in the graphic style panel?

Is this a limitation of FreeHands export capabilities? Is there something about the freehand file the prevents AI from reading the graphic styles applied to it?

• 2. Re: Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette
            DOT Cartographer Level 1

Bear with me; I'm still new to the AI vocab.  I'll try to explain:

When I generate linework, it's like this: Window => Graphic Style Libraries => DOT Specs

I click on the line I want, say, State Highway, digitize my highway, and voila--it meets standards.

When I proofread other people's maps, I may see a funny line, and suspect they have used a similar, but non-standard line.

If I click that line (path), its style does not become highlighted in my DOT Spec library panel, nor does it become highlighted in my Graphic Style panel.

See the attached bmp.  On the left is my Graphic Styles panel.  On the right is my DOT Specs Graphic Style Library.

Note two things:

1)  They're different.  Why?  I don't know.  Why aren't all my Spec Styles in the GS Panel?  I don't know.

2)  There is a Township Line selected in this file (see the bottom-most thick magenta line; it's selected), and yet neither of the two panels has that style highlighted.

• 3. Re: Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this a regular AI file? If you used a style from another file, it should have been added to the style panel in the new file. Just opening another library doesn't automatically add them to the existing file's library. Only the ones used will be added.

• 4. Re: Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette
                DOT Cartographer Level 1

I'm having trouble attaching the image...

Yes, as far as I understand, it's just a regular AI file.  I click on a path I know is the spec for "Township Line."  But neither in my Graphic Style library nor in my Styles panel does the "Township Line" style highlight to indicate that.

• 5. Re: Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette
                  Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is it part of a group or a compound path?

• 6. Re: Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette
                    [scott] Level 6

If you open the file, and there are no additional Graphic Styles added to the Graphic Style Panel, that means 1 of 2 things.....

A) The artwork is not a Graphic Style

B) The style is already present in your Graphic Style panel.

There is no way to determine if artwork was ever a Graphic Style if it's been expanded or the link to the style has been broken, other than by eyeballing it.

• 7. Re: Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette
                      DOT Cartographer Level 1

The path is a single, regular old path (not sure what compound refers to, but I know it's not grouped).

The style is in the Graphic Style panel, but I need an indication when I select the path of which Graphic Style it is.  It does not highlight the style in the Graphic Style panel when I select it.

In response to Scott: if one user creates linework using a Graphic Style, then sends that file to another user, would that break the link and put the second user in my position?

• 8. Re: Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I won't answer for Scott he might have a different bent on this but I think that could break the link or perhaps it was copied from a pdf and pasted.

If the graphic stye is deleted but not the path the style remains on the path but it has no link.

You can add the style back to the graphic style background but there is no way to recover the name. So it has limited help.

If Freehand was able to recover the name and I was in a position to ask the team to look at this issue, I would want this capability to be in Illustrator as well.

The map industry is a big user of Illustrator and that seems useful capability. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

You should some try to warn the customers or submitters not to delete or break the links of any graphic styles, wish I could be of more help.

• 9. Re: Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette
                          [scott] Level 6

DOT Cartographer wrote:

In response to Scott: if one user creates linework using a Graphic Style, then sends that file to another user, would that break the link and put the second user in my position?

No, the link would remain until the artwork is either expanded via Object > Expand or Object > Expand Appearance or the link is manually broken.

All a Graphic Style is is a snapshot of the Appearance Panel settings.

• 10. Re: Identify Graphic Style that isn't in Style palette
                            DOT Cartographer Level 1

Eureka!  I think we just figured this out: if you first click on your Graphic Style Library, then draw a line, and save, then that line style, though added to your Style palette, will not be highlighted in the Style palette when you click on it.  If, however, you draw the line first, and then click on the desired line style on your Graphic Style Library, the line style will be highlighted in the Style palette when you click on it.

You seasoned AI users likely never make this error, but we former FreeHanders fell upon it as a total fluke.  Thanks so much for your time, everybody!