3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2007 7:12 PM by Newsgroup_User

Important Question About Moving Files

sinewave zero Level 1
      Aloha DW Community

I need help/confirmation on this before i do it. I have inherrited the website from hell; that meaning the folders on my computer and on the server are very unorganized. There are images all over the place, in places they just should not be stored. i am getting ready to switch to a new service provider for the site so i want to start as fresh as possible. i have already downloaded the whole site from the server to my local computer. i have gone through and deleted all the old files that are no longer needed. now before i upload this site to the new server i want to collect all the images that are spread about and place them in the same folder. my question is this - if i gather all the images together and upload the site, will dreamweaver correct all the link paqths that have been switched around by me moving all the pictures? i know DW does this, but i am not sure if it will do it on such a large scale.

if you know the answer, please let me know.

thank you in advance

all the best to you

e~
        • 1. Re: Important Question About Moving Files
          Level 7
          Do all of your organizational moves within DW's Files panel. You should be
          fine.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"sinewave zero" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fcf30e$s5h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Aloha DW Community
          >
          > I need help/confirmation on this before i do it. I have inherrited the
          > website
          > from hell; that meaning the folders on my computer and on the server are
          > very
          > unorganized. There are images all over the place, in places they just
          > should
          > not be stored. i am getting ready to switch to a new service provider for
          > the
          > site so i want to start as fresh as possible. i have already downloaded
          > the
          > whole site from the server to my local computer. i have gone through and
          > deleted all the old files that are no longer needed. now before i upload
          > this
          > site to the new server i want to collect all the images that are spread
          > about
          > and place them in the same folder. my question is this - if i gather all
          > the
          > images together and upload the site, will dreamweaver correct all the link
          > paqths that have been switched around by me moving all the pictures? i
          > know DW
          > does this, but i am not sure if it will do it on such a large scale.
          >
          > if you know the answer, please let me know.
          >
          > thank you in advance
          >
          > all the best to you
          >
          > e~
          >

• 2. Re: Important Question About Moving Files
            sinewave zero Level 1
            ok, got it. thanks

e~
            • 3. Re: Important Question About Moving Files
              Level 7
              On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:46:38 +0000 (UTC), "sinewave zero"
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Aloha DW Community
              >
              > I need help/confirmation on this before i do it. I have inherrited the website
              >from hell; that meaning the folders on my computer and on the server are very
              >unorganized. There are images all over the place, in places they just should
              >not be stored. i am getting ready to switch to a new service provider for the
              >site so i want to start as fresh as possible. i have already downloaded the
              >whole site from the server to my local computer. i have gone through and
              >deleted all the old files that are no longer needed. now before i upload this
              >site to the new server i want to collect all the images that are spread about
              >and place them in the same folder. my question is this - if i gather all the
              >images together and upload the site, will dreamweaver correct all the link
              >paqths that have been switched around by me moving all the pictures? i know DW
              >does this, but i am not sure if it will do it on such a large scale.
              >
              > if you know the answer, please let me know.
              >
              > thank you in advance
              >
              > all the best to you
              >
              > e~
              As Murray said, but why not zip the whole site to have a backup just
              in case?