0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 9:58 PM by cost=manyhours

Reader 9.3 will not load on W7 machine unless you are administrator

cost=manyhours

--Here's the history:  On xp machine, could not load latest version that was sent out-- finally used windows installer cleanup, downloaded a new install and done.

--On this Windows 7 machine, installation of update sent out also failed-- error message: "This installation package could not be opened.  Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

So, here is the solution:  there are two levels of administrator in Windows 7-- (I thought I was the administrator, but not so!) --The thread (search for it on the web somewhere -- it appears many times--sorry, I printed it, but lost the addy--) was titled  "How to Activate Windows 7 Administrator":

here are the steps:

Click on the Windows 7 start circle

in the Start search dialog box type  secpol.msc

click on Local Policy,

double click on Security Options

Double click Accounts: Administrator account status,

select enable

then back out (close) and, really important, switch users to the "new"  administrator account!!

Youi will now be able to download Reader 9.3    (I was finally able to install the MS Office Compatibility pack for 2003 too!)

For now , I will leave my screen name as is --it represents what this upgrade represents.