3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2010 9:30 PM by the_wine_snob

Actions for converting aspect ratios

Sterculias Level 1

Here is a little tip if you want to resize your camera images for a slide show.

I needed to convert and resize my 3008 x 2000 RAW images to PAL Standard for a slide show.  I use PS CS3 and I was using IMAGE>Pixel Aspect Ratio to convert the file then IMAGE>Size to resize to 720 x 576.  I decided to create an Action to autoamte the process and when I opened up ACTIONS lo & behold Adobe have already created an Action for all the NTSC and PAL formats.

All it takes is to open your image, select Actions and select the format you want, that is it.   All I need to do now is create a Batch File to automate a over 200 image files.

If like me you use PSD files then they must be flattened first and the Action is not written for images in portrait mode, these have to be done through IMAGE>Pixel Aspect Ration and then IMAGE>Size  with the width and height transposed and Constrain Proportions unticked.

Doug.

• 1. Re: Actions for converting aspect ratios
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

I agree that Actions are the way to go in PS. Mine also change the Color Bit Depth Mode to 8-bit, as I am almost always working in 16-bit, when I process my Camera RAW files. Not sure about the included PS Actions, but in PS CS2, I have just written several that do all the pre-processing, and then do a Automate>Batch for entire folders of these images. I also will keep the files in PSD format, when I do the final Save_As.

This ARTICLE covers most of my operations, using your workflow.

Nice to know that PS installs with Actions that can do most of this. I never saw them in CS/CS2, but maybe just did not look, or perhaps Adobe has added them in CS3/CS4. Nice to know.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Actions for converting aspect ratios
            Sterculias Level 1

Bill,

You are very welcome, I'm glad I could return the favour for the help you

gave me on this very subject a week or two ago.  Between you and Steve

Grisetti I am now up and running so all I need to come up to speed now is

some of the advanced keyframe functions.

Yes your work flow and mine are 99%  identical.

Regards,

Doug.

• 3. Re: Actions for converting aspect ratios
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I am now up and running so all I need to come up to speed now is some of the advanced keyframe functions.

That is great news. We try, to the best of our abilities, to help everyone.

Thanks for the tip on the included Actions. Now, I have to check CS2 to see if they were included there too. I have a tendency to just go construct my own, and often overlook existing ones - duh!

Hunt