5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 6:01 PM by allencam1

Publishing to .SWF - Transparent backgrounds

Eva Shtern

I'm still using Beta II of Flash Catalyst so this issue might have already been resolved. Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to get a transparent background when publishing a swf in Catalyst. For example in Flash you can go into Publish Settings and check transparent background. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

• 1. Re: Publishing to .SWF - Transparent backgrounds
          Tara Jane Feener

Hey Eva,

Unfortunately there is no way to do this in Catalyst today.

You can set the background as transparent with a little coding.

Mike Morearty has a post on it here: http://www.morearty.com/blog/2006/10/02/transparent-flex-apps-with-html-showing-through/

This is for the publishing to swf only case, publishing to air with transparency involves some additional steps.

Let me know if this helps.

May I ask out of curiosity why you wanted the swf to have a transparent background?

Thanks for posting!

Tara

• 2. Re: Publishing to .SWF - Transparent backgrounds
            allencam1

Unfortunately, I found out after producting an entire web site in Catalyst to have a transparent background, (so that the complicated bg with shadowing I created in Fireworks would show behind it), that this doesn't work, or at least it didn't when I tried it.

I like to use rounded or shadowed photos/graphics as my page background overlay, floating above a tiled textured graphic. I'm not a big fan of square pages and page items or flat colored areas, and I like to create depth in my pages and applications. It took days to rework the css template and line up the swf using CSS to perfectly fit over the background, as well as resize and realign the FC page and pieces (which will clear interaction settings if you don't do it the long way).

I am seriously disappointed/irritated that this is the only program in the design suite that for some stupid reason has no ability to export with transparency. If it can be done in flash, it shouldn't be complicated to apply the same techniques to FC. Then again, Macromedia originally created Flash and Fireworks. Maybe when Adobe bought the company some of the people they lost were the programmers who actually knew what they were doing. That would explain the ram intensive nature of FC over Flash and Fireworks. Hopefully someone comes out with an add-on to solve the issue. Until then, I can't create any round or shadowed applications/wbe sites in FC when using a textured background.

• 3. Re: Publishing to .SWF - Transparent backgrounds
              nj_klein

I couldn't agree with you more. I also designed a website for use with a background image and floating graphics.

I've been trying for an entire day to get this to work.

I just found this post and will give it a try - but I'm seriously disappointed.

If you find a fix - be sure to let me know

I hope they incorporate adding a background image to FC as an option in the next version. Seems to make sense if this is the best software out there.

ug.

• 4. Re: Publishing to .SWF - Transparent backgrounds
                nj_klein Level 1

I just tried this (let me rephrase... I just 'read' this):

Mike Morearty has a post on it here: http://www.morearty.com/blog/2006/10/02/transparent-flex-apps-with-html-showing- through/

And... since I'm not a programmer, I have no idea how to do this.

Are there any instructions someone can send that we all understand?

Do we make these code adjustments in flash catalyst code? As I can't seem to edit that code / it's locked.

Please help!

Nicole

• 5. Re: Publishing to .SWF - Transparent backgrounds
                  allencam1 Level 1

You don't have to know coding, it's in the properties panel of Dreamweaver when you click on your swf. However, it doesn't help. That's what I normally use, but FC does NOT currently export swf files with transparent backgrounds.