6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 8:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Microsoft AVI is only rendering audio

complete-grp

All I'm trying to do is export a Microsoft AVI DVPAL clip from a MPG2 file edited in premiere.

It looks fine when adjusting the export settings but as soon as it moves to media encoder then it will not render the video element, just the audio.

It is acting like an audio only codec, like i've selected WAV...

If i change the export settings to another format such as WMV then there's no problem.

Any suggestions? I've spent a whole morning just trying to sort this.

(i'm working with CS4)

Cheers

• 1. Re: Microsoft AVI is only rendering audio
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Post a screenshot for your export settings.

It looks like you only export audio and not video.

• 2. Re: Microsoft AVI is only rendering audio
            complete-grp Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks for helping out again.

Here are two screen shots

The first is when you initially hit export in Premiere and it pops up with the settings window:

PremiereExport.JPGWhich is what you'd expect with video and audio options ticked

But when Media Encoder opens and you check the settings in there the video option is greyed out (see image)

MediaEncoder.JPGAnd it's happening for every project...

I'd be much appreciated if you've any suggestions.

• 3. Re: Microsoft AVI is only rendering audio
              Harm Millaard Level 7

This is weird. I have never seen anything like this. It may be that one of the EPR files got corrupted. In that case a repair install may solve it. Do you have the same problem when choosing PAL DV Widescreen or even WMV or another format?

• 4. Re: Microsoft AVI is only rendering audio
                complete-grp Level 1

Thanks for the help, but still no luck. I've tried

fixing it with a reinstall which didn't work. Instead i've got a new error message.

So i tried an uninstall and then reinstall and still the same error.

Now what is happening is that after first choosing the settings and hitting ok. The export bar comes up and then nothing...

So i tried to open media encoder separately to find out what's going on and it pops up with this error message:

ErrorMessage.JPG

I've got to say I'm loosing my rag with Premiere. I've used AE for years and never experienced these kinds of problems.

Is it really worth the effort? Final Cut sounds like it may be a better option for our company.

• 5. Re: Microsoft AVI is only rendering audio
                  complete-grp Level 1

It's taken a whole day to sort out but some how in the process of reinstalling Premiere, half of the Media Encoder files disappeared.

I don't understand why but the installer for Media Encoder turns out to be on the Aftereffects disk (bit confusing) so having uninstalled everything and reinstalled again then it is working okay.

Thanks for putting me on the right tracks.

• 6. Re: Microsoft AVI is only rendering audio
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

First, glad that things are working now!

I don't understand why but the installer for Media Encoder turns out to be on the Aftereffects disk (bit confusing)

As of CS4, AME is now a stand-alone program, and can be used by several other Adobe apps, like Flash, PrPro, AE, so it appears in a different location, than in earlier versions, where it was basically built-in to PrPro. I can see where this location might not be what one would expect, especially if they were used to the older versions.

Good luck,

Hunt