9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 11:38 AM by Scott Falkner

Change in "Save As" Behavior

robert-c Level 1

When I am working on a Ai file and SAVE AS pdf for example, a pdf is created in the location I choose and I am still working on the Ai file. I could have sworn that before the file I was working on became the pdf, therefore closing the AI file. I noticed this change a couple of weeks ago. Am I just getting senile or is there something wrong with Illustrator or my computer?

MAC Intel 10.5.8

AI CS4

• 1. Re: Change in "Save As" Behavior
          Scott Falkner Level 5

robert-c wrote:

When I am working on a Ai file and SAVE AS pdf for example, a pdf is created in the location I choose and I am still working on the Ai file.

MAC Intel 10.5.8

AI CS4

That is not how any version of Illustrator up to 14 (aka CS4) works. You may be describing Save a Copy, which keeps the original file open and saves a new file, which is closed. The default name for that file is the current filename, plus “ copy”. I do hope Illustrator 15 has an export to PDF feature. The lack of such a necessary feature in all previous version of Illustrator is reason number 274 why Adobe needs to fire a lot of stupid people and start hiring smart ones.

• 2. Re: Change in "Save As" Behavior
            Doug Katz Level 4

Why is export better than save as? Is there a capacity that export has that save as doesn't?

• 3. Re: Change in "Save As" Behavior
              robert-c Level 1

Well, I have been using Illustrator for 15 years, and I know I haven't switched to using Save as Copy.

Turns out it was a bad preference file. I trashed it and the proper behavior returned.

• 4. Re: Change in "Save As" Behavior
                Scott Falkner Level 5

Doug Katz wrote:

Why is export better than save as? Is there a capacity that export has that save as doesn't?

Let’s compare InDesign and Illustrator. We’ll work with an open file, save (or export) a low-res PDF to a different directory, edit the file, save a PDF again, then save and close the working file.

InDesign:

1. File > Export
                2. Choose directory
                3. Choose PDF
                4. Click OK
                5. Choose export preset
                6. Click OK
                7. Edit file
                8. File > Export
                9. Click OK
                10. Click Replace
                11. Click OK
                12. Save
                13. Close

Illustrator

1. File > Save As
                2. Choose directory
                3. Choose PDF
                4. Click OK
                5. Choose export preset
                6. Click OK
                7. Click OK
                8. Edit file
                9. File > Save As
                10. Choose directory
                11. Choose PDF
                12. Click OK
                13. Click Replace
                14. Choose export preset
                15. Click OK
                16. Click OK
                17. Save
                18. Close
                19. Save
                20. Say, “Oh fück, I just trashed my Illustrator file!”
                21. Reopen previously saved Illustrator file
                22. Open last saved PDF
                23. Attempt to repeat the last edits to the Illustrator file (This can be several dozen or several hundred steps)
                24. Promise yourself that if you ever get rabies you’ll bite everyone who works at Adobe.

In other words, when you save a PDF you are no longer editing the original Illustrator file. You must either: repeat the Save As and change the format back to Illustrator; be sure to Save before doing a Save As to PDF, close the file after saving a PDF, then reopen the Illustrator file; or use Save a Copy and remember to edit the filename to remove “ copy” along with all the other extra steps.

Export is, in every way, a much easier and safer way to produce a PDF proof. Somehow, this blatantly obvious advantage has escaped the awareness of every person with clout or influence on the Illustrator team. That level of incompetence gets no sympathy or mercy from me.

• 5. Re: Change in "Save As" Behavior
                  Doug Katz Level 4

I don't use InDesign or any page layout software so was not familiar with this distinction. Can I to assume from your colorful post:

The problem with Save As is that, once you do one, you're seeing on screen what you've saved AS, not what you've saved FROM. By contrast an Export command preserves on screen the native file from which you're exporting. Yes?

• 7. Re: Change in "Save As" Behavior
                    [scott] Level 6

I've got to agree.... I do wish AI would not replace the open document with the PDF.. export would be better.

• 8. Re: Change in "Save As" Behavior
                      Doug Katz Level 4

Is this actually a formal convention? Does the Save As command in all mainstream programs leave the result on screen while the Export command leaves the source?

• 9. Re: Change in "Save As" Behavior
                        Scott Falkner Level 5

Doug Katz wrote:

Is this actually a formal convention? Does the Save As command in all mainstream programs leave the result on screen while the Export command leaves the source?

Yes. That is exactly what Save As is supposed to do. Leave the last saved version alone, save a new version, and leave that newly saved version open for further editing. Is that respect, Illustrator is doing it right.

The wrong thing is that Save As is the only command that will create a low-resolution, non-editable PDF proof of the current file. JPEG, PSD, TIF, GIF, WMF, and many other formats are only available using Export, and rightly so. Those files are also dumbed down, low resolution, non-editable approximations of the current Illustrator file. SVG and PDF should be export options as well.