6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2007 10:54 AM by kufloyd

Get a 421 error on 'put' file

kufloyd
      I'm attempting to put files onto my site server using the Put option in Dreamweaver. When I tried to put the first file, the put dialog kept waiting for a server connection. I killed that dialog and tried to put it again. Same thing. Now I'm getting a 421 error:
      421 Too many connections (8) from this IP
      Connection closed by remote host.

I've pinged the FTP host and it's alive. Any idea why I'm getting this error and how to fix it? (I now get the error even when I try to do ftp <host_name> from a DOS prompt.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Get a 421 error on 'put' file
          Level 7
          Are you running a firewall?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"kufloyd" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fch9lo$aoo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm attempting to put files onto my site server using the Put option in
          > Dreamweaver. When I tried to put the first file, the put dialog kept
          > waiting
          > for a server connection. I killed that dialog and tried to put it again.
          > Same
          > thing. Now I'm getting a 421 error:
          > 421 Too many connections (8) from this IP
          > Connection closed by remote host.
          >
          > I've pinged the FTP host and it's alive. Any idea why I'm getting this
          > error
          > and how to fix it? (I now get the error even when I try to do ftp
          > <host_name>
          > from a DOS prompt.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >

• 2. Re: Get a 421 error on 'put' file
            Ben M Adobe Community Professional
            In the site settings for FTP check off the box for Passive FTP. It sounds like a firewall issue as Murray suggests.
            • 3. Re: Get a 421 error on 'put' file
              kufloyd Level 1
              I checked the passive FTP box but still get the same error.
              I was able to use 'put' for over a year but only started running into this problem yesterday. Any idea what may have caused this and how to fix it? It looks like there are zombie ftp processes that are still alive and that my server refuses any more connections (probably because it has maxed out the allowed # of ftp connections from a given IP?)
              • 4. Re: Get a 421 error on 'put' file
                Ben M Adobe Community Professional
                If you feel that is happening, try running virus scans and spyware scans on your computer.

Also double check your router (assuming you have one set up) and make sure that there is no one hijacking your connection through your router.
                • 5. Re: Get a 421 error on 'put' file
                  kufloyd Level 1
                  I think I've figured out why so many FTP connections are still open. I looked at the FTP site log and saw that for each 'put' that I did, it was logged as 1 ftp connection (expectedly). However, I would expect that after the put's done the ftp connection would be closed - this wasn't the case. When I do the next put, the user count (which is printed out at the beginning of the ftp session) does not decrement and eventually, I believe my server maxes out on the number of ftp connections allowed from a given IP and refuses to connect. I've tried using passive mode FTP and that didn't help either.

Anyone else experienced this issue? SnakEyez02 - I did run spyware scans to check for unauthorized connections and it didn't come up with any.
                  • 6. Re: Get a 421 error on 'put' file
                    kufloyd Level 1
                    I forgot to add that after a put's done, the put dialog is still at "waiting for server", even though the put went through. I have to hit 'cancel' on that before proceeding to the next put. Not sure why DW is unable to close the ftp connection properly..