10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2007 2:08 PM by Newsgroup_User

I can Attach text to path but what about vector?

ToffeeCrisp
      I have created a image similar to alien splat halftone dots in vector in a long line. now I want to bend it round a circle.

Im not using the alien splat filter because this is for flash and I want it all vector!

edit: I have tryed the reshape tool. I need something more accurate! it needs to rap around half of a perfect circle!
        • 1. Re: I can Attach text to path but what about vector?
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          Have you tried the bezier pen tool?
          • 2. Re: I can Attach text to path but what about vector?
            ToffeeCrisp Level 1
            the image I have created is made up of lots of small vector circles not joined to each other. so the pen tool is only good for curving each individual circle.

I have alterd the path of all the circles to union them, I thought there might be a way to attach to path like text. If there is no way of doing this then It would be good option to have in the next release!

Ive also tried drawing it round the circle but found this too hard and time consuming!
            • 3. Re: I can Attach text to path but what about vector?
              Level 7
              I don't want to state the obvious here, but have you tried using text to
              create your circles? Full Stops, Zero's or 'O' in a suitable font at a
              suitable size, would achieve a similar effect, no?

Peter
              | to each other. so the pen tool is only good for curving each individual
              circle.
              |
              | I have alterd the path of all the circles to union them, I thought there
              might
              | be a way to attach to path like text. If there is no way of doing this
              then It
              | would be good option to have in the next release!
              |
              | Ive also tried drawing it round the circle but found this too hard and
              time
              | consuming!
              |

• 4. Re: I can Attach text to path but what about vector?
                ToffeeCrisp Level 1
                when you mentioned using the fonts with fullstops zeros and O without "thinking I thought what is this guy on?"
                Then I thought, "hang on a minute he may have something here!"

Tried it, and its PERFECT using full stops. then changing the font size bigger as it goes down it looks exactly like the splat halftone dots filter and takes seconds to do!

THANKYOU for solving my question and THANKYOU for opening my eyes to the fact that the font tool can be used for more than just text!
                • 5. Re: I can Attach text to path but what about vector?
                  Level 7
                  LOL . You're most welcome TC.

Text can be used in some very creative ways and if you really need to you
                  can 'convert to paths' after you've 'attached to path'.

Cheers

Peter
                  "thinking
                  | I thought what is this guy on?"
                  | Then I thought, "hang on a minute he may have something here!"
                  |
                  | Tried it, and its PERFECT using full stops. then changing the font size
                  bigger
                  | as it goes down it looks exactly like the splat halftone dots filter and
                  takes
                  | seconds to do!
                  |
                  | THANKYOU for solving my question and THANKYOU for opening my eyes to the
                  fact
                  | that the font tool can be used for more than just text!
                  |

• 6. Re: I can Attach text to path but what about vector?
                    Level 7
                    ToffeeCrisp wrote:
                    > THANKYOU for solving my question and THANKYOU for opening my eyes to the fact
                    > that the font tool can be used for more than just text!

Yep, but that is still just a workaround. What if you needed to put a
                    shape a font cannot approximate on a path... or morph from one shape to
                    another or specify the number of steps. To do that you would need a
                    Blend tool which is something most vector apps have but which Fireworks
                    yet does not.

If you have Illustrator or FreeHand, look for the Blend tool to see how
                    this can be done more easily and with a lot more flexibility. Send Adobe
                    a request if you'd like to see this implemented in Fireworks:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

--
                    Stéphane Bergeron
                    reach : connect : communicate
                    http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                    blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                    http://www.pixelyzed.com
                    • 7. Re: I can Attach text to path but what about vector?
                      Level 7
                      The very same thought occurred to me Stéphane. Thanks for the link, I'll put
                      in a request now.

Peter
                      | > THANKYOU for solving my question and THANKYOU for opening my eyes to
                      the fact
                      | > that the font tool can be used for more than just text!
                      |
                      | Yep, but that is still just a workaround. What if you needed to put a
                      | shape a font cannot approximate on a path... or morph from one shape to
                      | another or specify the number of steps. To do that you would need a
                      | Blend tool which is something most vector apps have but which Fireworks
                      | yet does not.
                      |
                      | If you have Illustrator or FreeHand, look for the Blend tool to see how
                      | this can be done more easily and with a lot more flexibility. Send Adobe
                      | a request if you'd like to see this implemented in Fireworks:
                      |
                      | http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
                      |
                      | --
                      | Stéphane Bergeron
                      | reach : connect : communicate
                      | http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                      | blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                      | http://www.pixelyzed.com

• 8. Re: I can Attach text to path but what about vector?
                        Level 7
                        Done :-)

"PJR" <flash@SLICEreclusivebillionaire.com> wrote in message
                        news:fbs8j2$apb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        | The very same thought occurred to me Stéphane. Thanks for the link, I'll
                        put
                        | in a request now.
                        |
                        | Peter
                        | ______________________
                        | "Stéphane Bergeron" <news@webfocusdesign.com> wrote in message
                        | news:fbs73t$953$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        || ToffeeCrisp wrote:
                        || > THANKYOU for solving my question and THANKYOU for opening my eyes to
                        | the fact
                        || > that the font tool can be used for more than just text!
                        ||
                        || Yep, but that is still just a workaround. What if you needed to put a
                        || shape a font cannot approximate on a path... or morph from one shape to
                        || another or specify the number of steps. To do that you would need a
                        || Blend tool which is something most vector apps have but which Fireworks
                        || yet does not.
                        ||
                        || If you have Illustrator or FreeHand, look for the Blend tool to see how
                        || this can be done more easily and with a lot more flexibility. Send Adobe
                        || a request if you'd like to see this implemented in Fireworks:
                        ||
                        || http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
                        ||
                        || --
                        || Stéphane Bergeron
                        || reach : connect : communicate
                        || http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                        || blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                        || http://www.pixelyzed.com
                        |
                        |

• 9. Re: I can Attach text to path but what about vector?
                          Level 1
                          quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                          ToffeeCrisp wrote:
                          > THANKYOU for solving my question and THANKYOU for opening my eyes to the fact
                          > that the font tool can be used for more than just text!

Yep, but that is still just a workaround. What if you needed to put a
                          shape a font cannot approximate on a path... or morph from one shape to
                          another or specify the number of steps. To do that you would need a
                          Blend tool which is something most vector apps have but which Fireworks
                          yet does not.

If you have Illustrator or FreeHand, look for the Blend tool to see how
                          this can be done more easily and with a lot more flexibility. Send Adobe
                          a request if you'd like to see this implemented in Fireworks:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

--
                          Stéphane Bergeron

You can access the new Blend Tool in the Paths Panel for Fireworks CS3. (Window > Other > Paths)

Also, sounds like a good idea for a simple command. Maybe it goes like this:

1. Create a circle thats a vector path
                          2. Select the object and path, run the command
                          3. determine the amount of objects that you want to be on the path
                          4. Hit apply and the objects have been duplicated and now surrounds the circle with even distribution between the objects

Would a command like that help out here? Any suggestions?
                          • 10. Re: I can Attach text to path but what about vector?
                            Level 7
                            Alan Musselman wrote:
                            > You can access the new Blend Tool in the Paths Panel for Fireworks CS3.
                            > (Window > Other > Paths)
                            >
                            > Also, sounds like a good idea for a simple command. Maybe it goes like this:
                            >
                            > 1. Create a circle thats a vector path
                            > 2. Select the object and path, run the command
                            > 3. determine the amount of objects that you want to be on the path
                            > 4. Hit apply and the objects have been duplicated and now surrounds the circle
                            > with even distribution between the objects

I hadn't seen that Alan. Thanks for the suggestion. But that is still
                            only a workaround although a more sophisticated one than using text.
                            What it doesn't do that the text workaround does though is that it only
                            "blends" two objects along a straight "virtual path" between them and
                            not along a a real editable path like the text on a path workaround
                            does. Also, it doesn't create a live object.

A real blend leaves all "keyframe" objects 100% editable (selectable
                            with the direct selection tool) and the path or spline they run along
                            remains editable as well so you can change its shape too. Furthermore,
                            the "blend object" has properties of its own you can edit like the
                            number of blend steps, "rotate on path" (FH), range% (FH), show or hide
                            spline/path (FH), reverse spline (AI), reverse front to back (AI),
                            orientation (align to page and align to path, similar to FH's rotation
                            setting)(AI). In AI the spline is created with the blend, straight by
                            default but completely editable as a vector path. In FH you need to
                            create the path/spline separately and use the "Attach blend to path"
                            command. Same end result.

In both cases, the original objects remain completely editable. You can
                            edit the shape and other properties of any key objects and the blend
                            updates in real time. I don' think a simple Flash panel could do that in
                            FW. A blend tool would probably need to be a native tool IMO.

> Would a command like that help out here? Any suggestions?

See above.

--
                            Stéphane Bergeron