8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 6:41 PM by Steve Grisetti

CPU usage goes up when a certain AVI clip is added

Terry Wysocki Level 1

I have a Core-Duo 3.2ghz with 2gb ram and XPpro. When I'm adding video clips (avi files) to my timeline, I noticed that at one point, PE8 became very sluggish. Checking the Task Manager, it always happened whenever I added a particular avi file (captured from my DV cam) to the timeline. The file is about 2gb in size and I've checked it with Gspot and it appears to be like all my other clips. When I drag it to the timeline, the first CPU (of the two) goes to about 98% and stays there even if I delete that clip from the timeline, until I close the project. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

• 1. Re: CPU usage goes up when a certain AVI clip is added
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
          A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

• 2. Re: CPU usage goes up when a certain AVI clip is added
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Since youv'e checked it with G Spot, can you be a bit more specific about the codec at work in this file?

DV-AVIs flow very efficiently through Premiere Elements. But non-standard codecs, as in AVIs from still cameras or FRAPS programs, are just not going to work well at all. In fact, if you are using one of these non-standard AVIs, it might be a good idea to do a test output of your video from Premiere Elements. You don't want to put weeks into a project and then find out that, when you output a DVD, it starts jumping around like it's got sprocket hole damage!

• 3. Re: CPU usage goes up when a certain AVI clip is added
              Terry Wysocki Level 1

Well, I've checked out most of the things in the articles mentioned above and my computer meets most of the requirements. But I don't believe it's the computer - the file acts the same on other computers as well. I did a series of avi captures from a mini-DV tape using Pinnacle Studio and this clip was just one of dozens that I got. They're all abot 2-5gb in length. Gspot shows it identical to all the others: Codec is DVSD with DVC/DV Video. The audio is PCM Audio. I THINK the problem may be because of the audio track. Even though the clip plays well in Winamp and other players, when I bring it in to PE, I don't see the waveforms in the track like I do for the other good clips. Rather than wasting hours on this, I just went back and re-captured the segment and it's fine.

• 4. Re: CPU usage goes up when a certain AVI clip is added

I'm not sure why you're using Pinnacle Studio to do the capture. It seems to be adding some strange stuff to your videos.

What happens when you connect your miniDV over FireWire and capture with Premiere Elements, Windows MovieMaker or WinDV?

• 5. Re: CPU usage goes up when a certain AVI clip is added
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  The audio is PCM Audio. I THINK the problem may be because of the audio track.

What does G-Spot tell you about the Audio, such as sample-rate and bit-depth?

If you Import the AV files into PrE and do not see the Waveform, then Conforming (conversion to 32-bit floating point for editing and the creation of the PEK, waveform display, files has not completed. This can take a few moments, based on the file's size, and the speed of one's computer. There is a little progress bar at the lower-right of the GUI, and one MUST wait until this Conforming is done, before beginning to edit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: CPU usage goes up when a certain AVI clip is added
                    Terry Wysocki Level 1

I used Studio because I had not purchased PE yet. The clips I've done over Firewire in Studio have always been fine, with the exception of this one clip obviously. Windows Movie Maker captures in WMV format and I was under the impression that AVI was a better format to capture to for editing so I avoid it. I recaptured the clip using PE via miniDV and it works fine.

The audio of the problem clip is PCM Audio at 48000Hz 1536 kb/s tot (2chnls) - No Codec Required.

It plays well, but PE won't show the waveform no matter how long I wait - but the CPU pegs out!

Other clips that even are much longer display audio almost immediately. I could throw the 2gb file up on my website if anyone's interested in a look just for grins.

• 7. Re: CPU usage goes up when a certain AVI clip is added
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct that DV-AVI Type II is the better Capture format. The WMV files will be compressed, and though most can be Imported into PrE, the processing will put a greater strain on the computer.

When you Import the problem file, the one with the missing Waveform, do you get a little blue progress bar at the lower-right of the GUI? This would be the Conforming operation, which includes the generation of the PEK (Waveform Display) file. You can also check the Media Cache files to see if you have both a CFA (large file) and a PEK (much smaller file) for that Clip.

The Audio specs. that you list for that AV file are as they should be, 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV. It does not get any better than that. Do not know why that one file would be a problem - a real mystery. I cannot think of any explanation for why it would be problematic, or even something else to check.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: CPU usage goes up when a certain AVI clip is added

The problem seems to be that Pinnacle Studio isn't capturing as a DV-AVI but, rather, another AVI format that isn't working in your program.

Capturing with Premiere Elements or WinDV will give you DV-AVIs that are compatible with Premiere Elements (as well as virtually an PC-based video editor).