4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2006 8:37 AM by RoboColum(n)

Forms

maniac9999 Level 1
      I've been thinking about creating a feedback form as a topic in a WebHelp project, but before I do, I wanted to get your opinion. I have coworkers who can help me build the form.

My question is - do many help authors use this feature? If so, what's involved / what does the developer need to do in terms of a CGI script to make it work? Are there any known bugs to be aware of?

I'm using RH Office X5 (RoboHelp HTML)

Thanks,
      Jim
        • 1. Re: Forms
          tswaters1 Level 1
          I've done something similar with one of my WebHelp projects. I was a bit lucky as there's already a ASP-based webmail system available on our webserver... so basically I made a form to post to the webmail system and copied the code into the "truecode" view.

I would say, from the prospective of RoboHelp, keep it as minimal as possible... I.e. a simple form along the lines of:
          <form action=yourcgiscript.cgi method=post> <input type=text name=feedback> <input type=submit></form>
          I don't believe there's any built-in functionality for putting in inputs or forms into RoboHelp, but once they're there (added via truecode), they seem to display and generate fine....
          • 2. Re: Forms
            RoboColum(n) Level 5
            Hi Jim. I opted not to use a form. We just use a "Feedback" link in each topic's footer (can be part of a template) which opens the email client addressed to a specific email address (e.g. feedback@company.com). It all swings and roundabouts I suppose. Forms just seemed too much like a sledgehammer and nuts to meet our needs.
            • 3. Re: Forms
              South_Coast_Surfer Level 1
              Colum, it occurs to me that having the email address in the web page means that the address can become a target for spam. Did you find that to be a problem?
              Simon
              • 4. Re: Forms
                RoboColum(n) Level 5
                Hi Simon. Either we have a good spam filter here or the answer is "No". The email address is "hidden" in a link's properties although I don't know if this prevents spamers finding it.