3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2007 12:09 PM by NickTheNameless

Managing Sites

NickTheNameless Level 1
      I have a large website that consists of 3 sections. While still under the same domain, these 3 sections could easily be their own, individual sites. Each section has it's own media (images) folder, includes folder, and index page. I use two servers for this site, one for testing/development and one for production, to host it to it's users.

Currently I have each section setup as a separate site in DreamWeaver, with a FTP connection to the remote server (my testing/development server). I then have the entire site (which includes all 3 sections) set up as a separate site in DreamWeaver with a FTP connection to the remote server (my production server). On the connection to the development server I have chosen to upload changes on file save and not maintain syncronization information. On the connection to the production server I have chosen to not have changes uploaded on file save, but chosen to maintain sycronization information.

This setup makes sense to me because of how I work. I will spend a day testing an tweaking one or more sections of the site, using my development server, so I can play with how the changes look without them being live. At the end of the day I use the sycronization function on the production server to upload my changes.

My problem is, because the local root folders of my sites using my developement server are inside the local root folder of my site using my production server, I get an error message that says syncronization information may not work properly. Obviously, my setup depends on syncronization information being accurate. What can I change about my setup that will allow me to work in the same way. I see the option for testing server while managing my sites, but this seems as more of a tool to just test server side code, not to "play" with the site.
        • 1. Re: Managing Sites
          NickTheNameless Level 1
          i guess i'm bumping this back up to the top for a few reasons,

1 - i haven't received a response, and it's been a few days
          2 - this forum is my best choice for getting this particular question answered
          • 2. Re: Managing Sites
            Level 7
            So, what's you have a question?

"NickTheNameless" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fcjl08$pm8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >i guess i'm bumping this back up to the top for a few reasons,
            >
            > 1 - i haven't received a response, and it's been a few days
            > 2 - this forum is my best choice for getting this particular question
            > answered
            >

• 3. Re: Managing Sites
              NickTheNameless Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              So, what's you have a question?

"NickTheNameless" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fcjl08$pm8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >i guess i'm bumping this back up to the top for a few reasons,
              >
              > 1 - i haven't received a response, and it's been a few days
              > 2 - this forum is my best choice for getting this particular question
              > answered
              >

I guess the newsgroup readers can't see my previous post?

Here it is...

How To Best Manage A Large Site With Multiple Servers

I have a large website that consists of 3 sections. While still under the same domain, these 3 sections could easily be their own, individual sites. Each section has it's own media (images) folder, includes folder, and index page. I use two servers for this site, one for testing/development and one for production, to host it to it's users.

Currently I have each section setup as a separate site in DreamWeaver, with a FTP connection to the remote server (my testing/development server). I then have the entire site (which includes all 3 sections) set up as a separate site in DreamWeaver with a FTP connection to the remote server (my production server). On the connection to the development server I have chosen to upload changes on file save and not maintain syncronization information. On the connection to the production server I have chosen to not have changes uploaded on file save, but chosen to maintain sycronization information.

This setup makes sense to me because of how I work. I will spend a day testing an tweaking one or more sections of the site, using my development server, so I can play with how the changes look without them being live. At the end of the day I use the sycronization function on the production server to upload my changes.

My problem is, because the local root folders of my sites using my developement server are inside the local root folder of my site using my production server, I get an error message that says syncronization information may not work properly. Obviously, my setup depends on syncronization information being accurate. What can I change about my setup that will allow me to work in the same way. I see the option for testing server while managing my sites, but this seems as more of a tool to just test server side code, not to "play" with the site.