5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 8:16 PM by pwillener

    Adobe Reader Updqte Error 1500 Win 7 64-bit

    mntntraveler

      PC is running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

      While on Adobe Reader 9.3.1, I received a prompt that indicated an update was available. The update failed, error 1500. 

      I rebooted and tried again.  Same error.  I rebooted a second time into Safe Mode with networking.  That consistently produced error 1400, although the networking was functioning properly.

      After each Error 1500 I ran the Adobe repair utility as advised. No errors there, but each subsequent update still generated Error 1500.

      I consulted  Adobe's support page http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332507.html.  First I tried Solution 2—no change, the update still generated error 1500.  Then I tried Solution 1, but the Registry does not contain setting \Inprogress under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer  as the solution indicated.

      I uninstalled Adobe Reader completely and reinstalled it from the Adobe.com site (which took me back to release 9.3.0, because the Adobe Reader download file has not been updated as would be best practice!).  After doing this, updates still generated error 1500.

      With both Vista and Windows 7 64-bit versions, I have experienced more update errors with Adobe Reader than with numerous other complex products that I run on this machine.  Please advise how I should resolve this problem, which I suspect may be related to the 64-bit version of Windows.  None of these problems occurred on an XP machine.