• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cap.3: Capture process>Save file>receive one blank slide??

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2007 Sep 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I capture/record a technical simulation or demonstration in Captivate 3, I receive 1 blank slide instead of the simulated process I just captured. Here is what I do during the capture process to receive the error:

1. Start Captivate 3 and record my system process (web-based or local application)
2. Press the End button to stop recording
3. Receive the Captivate response to save the file and proper location
4. The captivate file opens and there is one blank slide instead of the process I just recorded

Steps taken so far to try and resolve:
- I've deleted the v30.dat file and restarted captivate 3. This did not resolve the issue.

I've recently upgraded to Captivate 3 (from captivate 2), which may be causing the issue??? Note: I did not have a single problem with Captivate 2.

Adobe personnel please help! I design captivate projects for most of my day and am at a complete standstill due to this bug. Any and all help is appreciated.

Regards, Kevin.
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

If it helps any, I just sent a note via some back channels asking for someone to look at this. In case they come back and ask questions, it might be useful to know the following:

When you started the recording process, what options are in place? By that, when you click File > Record/Create > New Project... what are you selecting at that point? After you make your selection (Simulation, Other, etc) and you get to the recording screen (with the red recording rectangle, but BEFORE clicking the Record button) what are the settings here? (Demonstration, Assessment Simulation, etc.) And again, from that particular screen, if you click the Settings... button, what options are enabled?

Sorry to be so full of questions, but I'm sure they will want to know.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Rick. I will post my settings first thing tomorrow.

Regards, Kevin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2007 Sep 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, here are my recording options. Please note that I have tried this many different ways with no luck, but here is what I did just this morning:

- New Project Options box:
- Software Simulation
- Custom Size
- Red box w/ selected options:
- Size = 940x660 (I've also tried many of the default sizes too)
- I resize my application to fit the red box
- Recording Modes:
- Demonstration (I've also tried doing it with multi-modes selected such as Training Simulation, Assessment, etc.)
- No narration
- Setting button (I use default settings)
- Click the Record button

Final note: After I capture and receive one blank slide, I can go into File>Record/Create>Additional Slides and properly record an application process. Even though this is a workaround, for this I CANNOT use multi-modal publishing which is the #1 reason I upgraded to Captivate 3!! So whatever the issue is, it's with recording a process from the opening menu.

Thanks again for helping!!

Regards, Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

Okay, let's see what we can pick apart. I did receive a note back from my contact late last night. I'll insert what he had to say after I deal with some other things here.

Have you noticed whether it is related to a specific application you try and record? For example, if you try perhaps something like recording Windows Notepad, are you okay?

When you are actually in the recording process, the one that results in a single, blank slide, as you are going about things are you hearing the camera shutter sounds as if Captivate is doing what is expected?

You said:
"Final note: After I capture and receive one blank slide, I can go into File>Record/Create>Additional Slides and properly record an application process. Even though this is a workaround, for this I CANNOT use multi-modal publishing which is the #1 reason I upgraded to Captivate 3!! So whatever the issue is, it's with recording a process from the opening menu."

I'm guessing you meant to say "muti-modal recording?

If so, this triggered a thought. I know you listed only a single mode as being enabled. Multi-mode recording is totally new to this version of Captivate. So this makes me wonder if we aren't possibly seeing a bit of weirdness as a result.

Okay, now here is what my contact sent me back:
There could be multiple reasons. I will give you some information on the basic capturing.

As you know that Captivate will take a screenshot for every mouse and key event send to the Operating System. This is the default behavior of Captivate. If the user gets only a single slide after capturing it means that no events were sent to Captivate or Captivate has been configured for not receiving any event.

First case: Captivate has been configured for not handling any of the key event. This is done using manual recording as the options. Captivate recording options has this option where user has to take screenshot only by print screen key. The option 'record keystrokes' is also important in this case. This option is usually ON.

Second case: The classic case for this is using Captivate 2 on Vista OS. In this case, the high security features of Vista disable any key event to be sent to Captivate. We have fix this in CA3 but there are still some high secure applications where Captivate will not be able to take the screenshot. This is mention in the Help of Captivate. Applications like Internet Information Systems, Network Diagnosis, etc are elevated at a higher priority by Vista. There are workaround to make this work.

Third case: We have also found some applications which will eat away the event and not passing that events to be send back to the OS. Application of very high sensitive nature where it was design in such a way that no hacking is possible comes under this category. Till date I have seen only 1 application which has problem with Captivate.

What to look for: First and foremost, any capturing failure usually lead to what kind of application was used in capturing. To be sure that it is not the application being capture that is causing the problem, user should be advise to do the same on a simple application like notepad. If the failure still occurs then we need to know the Operating Systems used and what type of user was logged in (permissions, etc.). Sometimes, it could be very simple configuration issues like checking whether record keystrokes was OFF or ON.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, I will answer each question best I can:

- I have tried many different applications from web-based to local. I tried Notepad and it didn't capture correctly.

- Yes I am receiving the camera sound as each action is taken. Just like in Captivate 2.

- Yes, multi-modal recording. I agree; new features and weirdness seem to go together sometimes.

- Yes, record keystrokes is selected.

- I use Windows XP Pro SP2; not Vista. I did not have a problem recording Captivate 2 simulations earlier this week prior to upgrading. It could be my system, but if Captivate 2 worked and Captivate 3 doesn't...I have to wonder if it's not the Captivate 3.

- For the third case: I tried capturing in Notepad and MS Word 2003.

I hope this can help diagnosis.

Regards, Kevin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin

I sent you a private message you need to view.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 16, 2007 Sep 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Yup, this is definitely a problem i'm facing as well. I'm on WinXP SP2 and multi-modal captures won't work for me either.

more details here...
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=67&catid=467&threadid=1297748&e...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2007 Sep 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have still benn unable to record. This is critical now, my trial is running out and i have to let my univeisryt know whether to bother buying a license.

At the moment the answer is a no, it wokred before and then i cahnged machine, im wondering if it has anything to do with video cards?

I cant do anything, even screengrab recording in captivate...please please help i really want o use this software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 17, 2008 Sep 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I started another post with a similar problem. I also cant do anything in captivate. The free trial worked fine on my personal PC. When I requested the version to be loaded on my work pc, I havent been able to get it to work right in any mode. Either I get one blank slide or I get multiple slides with some content on some slides and blank slides on other slides (with limited or no movement captured).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources