8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 11:23 AM by David_F57

ZendAMF 1.10.4 vs WebORB PHP 3.6

SpaghettiCoder Level 3

K after months of trying to get ZendAMF to work, and then giving up, and trying some more and giving up some more.  I finally got it to work today.  Hooray.  All the tutorials on the net were MEH!  Couldn't find one that used Flash Builder 4, and they all used MXML rather than actionscript *sigh*.

I did a quick benchmark on it, dataset was small but results were interesting.  Not sure how accurate the Network monitor is on FlashBuilder 4 but here are the results from it.

[ WEBORB ]

Elasped : 109ms

Header : 314

Body : 2619

[ ZendAMF ]

Elasped : 47ms

Header : 232

Body : 2624

WebORB is much easier to setup, and much nicer in terms of config/management of services.

ZendAMF seems to be faster by nearly double consistently atleast on this very small dataset.

ZendAMF is developed more regularly than WebORB.  ZendAMF has monthly releases, where as WebORB hasn't released a new PHP version for over

a year now.

ZendAMF is php only.  WebORB has solutions for Java, Ruby, .NET, and PHP

• 1. Re: ZendAMF 1.10.4 vs WebORB PHP 3.6
          David_F57 Level 5

hi,

Have you looked at amfphp ?  its much quicker than zendAMF (which was derived from amfPhp). It allows you to run your app from the ide whilst accessing services on the remote server, the online service browser tool actually works, i've yet to have a successful connect session with zamfbrowser which is an air app, and backend setup is a breeze.

David.

• 2. Re: ZendAMF 1.10.4 vs WebORB PHP 3.6
            RandomReado Level 1

I never got Zend AMF to ever work either. The documentation feels like it's missing a few steps and whenever I asked a simple question on the Zend forums, I get a random answer from Zend that has nothing to do with what I've asked!

Never tried WebORB but have seen the video tutorials and it does look nice and simple.

In terms of sending data to the server-side and retrieving data via AMFPHP though, how easy is this to implement compared to using HTTPService and XML (what I currently use)?

Can anyone share their experiences of using AMFPHP compared to XML and other AMF solutions?

• 3. Re: ZendAMF 1.10.4 vs WebORB PHP 3.6
              SpaghettiCoder Level 3

@David

Haven't really played with amfphp, thought zendAmf was to replace amfPHP?

What do you use?

• 4. Re: ZendAMF 1.10.4 vs WebORB PHP 3.6
                SpaghettiCoder Level 3

@Random

Unless I was looking at the wrong documentation , I remember the documentation as being some marketing stuff, on how great and easy zendAMF is lol.

I was going through video tutorials and blog posts.  You're right they were missing steps or a step...and the steps that they did have were brief to say the least.  Makes me want to put a very very easy step by step guide on how to set it up.

WebORB is very easy to setup and implement.  I've never used HTTPService and XML to send/retreive data.  The only advantage to RemoteObject is it's smaller and faster.  Once I figured out WebORB I used that ever since.

• 5. Re: ZendAMF 1.10.4 vs WebORB PHP 3.6
                  David_F57 Level 5

hi,

I'm using both zendAMF(in the hope it improves), and amfphp which I prefer there is a little more work due to no php and VO generation but then again once its done the rest goes smoother.

I'm working on a small amfphp thing at the moment (experimenting with image's in the DB and speed differences with amfphp and zend i'll post a link once its done)

David.

• 6. Re: ZendAMF 1.10.4 vs WebORB PHP 3.6
                    RandomReado Level 1

Think I'll give WebORB a go then and see how I get on. Thanks.

• 7. Re: ZendAMF 1.10.4 vs WebORB PHP 3.6
                      SpaghettiCoder Level 3

@David

When you send from flex to php, do you send it variable by variable? or have you sent arrays/objects to php?

• 8. Re: ZendAMF 1.10.4 vs WebORB PHP 3.6
                        David_F57 Level 5

hi,

I usually use object - simple example below

actionscript

=========

private function client_update(): void

{

var myobject: Object;

myobject = Object({ID:1,firstname:"rufus",surname:"Fitzpatrick"})

lc_clients.updateClient.send(myobject);

}

php
                        ===
                        function updateClient($data)
                        {
                        $mysql = mysql_connect(localhost, "flashhub_lifecalc", "insurance");
                        $fld = $data['field'];
                        mysql_select_db( "flashhub_lifecalc" );
                        $Query = "UPDATE clients set $fld='".$data['data']."' where ID='".$data['id']."'";
                        $Result = mysql_query( $Query );
                        return ($data['data']);
                        }