1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2007 10:36 AM by scooter5791

flex + amfphp vs. flex +php&xml

ab1301 Level 1
      Here's the deal. I hear how great amfphp is, and how much easier it is to develop flex applications with a PHP back end by using amfphp, but I don't understand it at all. On the other hand, I DO understand how to use POST in Flex to make PHP mysql queries, convert the results into xml and then use the xml in flex. It seems SO straightforward and easy to understand compared with understanding everything going on in amfphp, but I can see that it will be a pain to do all the coding to get what I want done doing it that way. So is it worth it to figure out amfphp and flex remoting, or should I just churn out the code using what I know?

I want to do things the smart way, but I looked at a couple amfphp tutorials and I have absolutely no clue what is going on. I feel like I have wasted the whole night, and not learned anything, while I could have been working on the code to do it with xml. The explanations in those tutorials seem to assume a HUGE amount of knowledge that I don't have, and I can't really find tutorials that explain things in newbie language. Plus, I don't even know what other tutorials I should look at and understand before I even start to understand the amfphp tutorials, so I'm not sure the amount of time its going to take for me to learn everything I need.

To top it all off, I don't really even get what the benefit is... Look at the code below from one tutorial - http://www.sephiroth.it/tutorials/flashPHP/flex_remoteobject/page003.php. Aside from the fact that I barely understand what is going on, just how is this easier than outputting xml?