1 2 3 Previous Next 92 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2011 8:41 AM by cambriaone

CS5 "Locked"

hwc3896 Level 1

Well, CS5 is not treating me well, so far. When I go to to Workspaces/New in CS5 and when I quit , I get a message like this:

"Could not save Preferences because the file is locked or you do not have the necessary access privileges. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to unlock the file or change permissions on the file or enclosing folders."

And then it crashes.

Wassup?

HW

• 1. Re: CS5 "Locked"
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems You might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences You’ve changed) by pressing command-alt-shift on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, etc.) might also be beneficial.

• 2. Re: CS5 "Locked"
            hwc3896 Level 1

I've trashed preferences and run maintenance scripts (Cocktail). No joy. Crash reports suggest unable to write pList. Permissions seem o.k.

On to purging PRAM. This is on laptop; will try on desktop later and also on new user.

HW

• 3. Re: CS5 "Locked"
              rsph1708 Level 1

I have the same problem. Waiting for a solution as well.

• 4. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                ggrieble Level 1

I went into my preferences folder and changed access settings for "Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings' to allow me to read a write but now PS5 won't quit.

• 5. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                  peeweesarah Level 1

Same issue here!  All my permissions seem correct.

• 6. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                    Rockaway6 Level 1

Same problem for me. No problems with any other software apps. Did a repair permissions in Disk Utility, but it didn't help.

Would somebody tell me why CS5 requires such a giant nasty installer/uninstaller? Mac users are not going to be satisfied with answer that says "it's so we can have the same user experience for Mac and Windows customers". Even Microsoft learned their lesson and doesn't try and force a Windows-style installer on Mac users. Microsoft lets you safely delete their apps by simply dragging them to the trash. Adobe's installer/delete process is not Mac-like at all. The CS5 release notes specifically tell you DON'T drag the app to the trash. WTF? It also goes totally haywire if you move any of the files from their installed locations.

Very unpleasant out of the box experience.

• 7. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                      Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

Is the /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings folder locked by chance?

• 8. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                        Rockaway6 Level 1

For some reason, the owner of that folder was set to "System". I added my user ID as the owner and applied the change to the contents of the folder and the problem went away.

Looks like the same thing is happening to others. Maybe Adobe needs to update the installer or issue a patch.

• 9. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                          Rockaway6 Level 1

I just confirmed that the Adobe installer had set all of the CS5 settings subfolders in ~/Library/Preferences to have an owner of "System". I did not have any access to the folders.

Changing the owner of the folders to my user account fixed the access for all of the CS5 apps.

Thanks for the tip.

• 10. Re: CS5 "Locked"

OK. Good to hear that it solved the issue. Now to understand why only certain people are experiencing it. Are you all on 10.6.3? Did you do a clean install of Snow Leopard or upgrade from Leopard? Do you use Time Machine?

• 11. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                              Rockaway6 Level 1

I'm using a brand new MBP 15" Core i7. I started with a fresh 1TB drive and my OS was cloned from my earlier MBP and then upgraded to 10.6.3 from the restore disks that came with the MBP. Yes, I use Time Machine, but did not restore from it in this case.

• 12. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                peeweesarah Level 1

"For some reason, the owner of that  folder was set to "System". I added my user ID as the owner and applied  the change to the contents of the folder and the problem went away.

Looks like  the same thing is happening to others. Maybe Adobe needs to update the  installer or issue a patch."

This worked for me too.

I have both a MacBookPro 17" and a MacPro Desktop.

Both are running 10.6.3.  Both are connected to Time Capsule/Time Machine wirelessly.  MacBookPro backs up via Time Machine and MacPro is not set to backup yet.  The fix above worked on both and both machines are up and running CS5.

• 13. Re: CS5 "Locked"

@Rockaway6 did you install PS, then clone the drive, then upgrade to 10.6.3 or did you clone the drive, upgrade to 10.6.3, then install PS?

• 14. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                    Rockaway6 Level 1

The clone operation and 10.6.3 upgrade was a week ago. All my other apps and data migrated fine.

The CS5 trial version was installed today, using the default installation options.

• 15. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                      peeweesarah Level 1

The OS on my MacPro was also migrated from my MacBookPro.

I was running CS4 previously on my MacBookPro.

Got the MacPro and transferred all info including CS4, everything worked peachy.

Purchased CS5.

Downloaded and installed CS5.

*I'm not sure exactly which OS version was on at the time of migration as I always keep both computers updated via software update.  As of CS5 install time, both computers were running 10.6.3.

Not sure if that helps?

ETA: Mine is not the trial version.

• 16. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                        hwc3896 Level 1

I created a new user, logged in as that user, and all was well. So it seems to be a matter of permissions and ownership.

Hope is in sight.

HW

• 17. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                          peeweesarah Level 1

HERE'S THE FIX:

Navigate to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings

Select that file File>Get Info

At the very bottom under permissions, hit the + icon.

Add your user name from the list that pops up.

Highlight the user just added.

Click the gear icon to the right of the +/-

Choose make owner.

Click the gear icon again and choose apply to folder contents.

Open Photoshop.

That should do the trick!

• 18. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                            hwc3896 Level 1

Thanks. Works for me. Adobe should fix its installer.

HW

• 19. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                              Rockaway6 Level 1

Yeah, I think the installer is the culprit.

If I go into the ~/Library/Preferences folder and create a new subfolder, it get assigned the correct privileges with me as the owner every time. It's only the CS5 folders created by the Adobe Installer that have a different owner.

• 20. Re: CS5 "Locked"

We're investigating. Thanks for your help and bringing it to our attention.

• 21. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                  ggrieble Level 1

That is what I tried earlier and it worked...sorta...I no longer get the "can't save settings" error but now PS won't quit. I have to force quit. If I open in 32 bit mode it quits fine but not in 64 bit mode. I have added no extensions or 32 bit plugins.

• 22. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                    ggrieble Level 1

An Update....

I fixed the won't quit problem by allowing me to have read and write privileges for the CS5SeviceManager Folder in Application Support/Adobe.

• 23. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                      Level 7

Ah, that's an important clue!

Thanks for the update.

• 24. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                        peab0 Level 1

I am having the same problem too as detailed here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/628617?tstart=0

Even after changing the permissions of all the folders and files, the CS Live button on the CS5 apps did nothing when I clicked it (although the other problems went away). I was only able to fix this by installing CS5 on another user then manually copying over all the application support folders to my main account with the problem.

*EDIT*

I have checked through my hard drive and is seems that EVERYTHING related to CS5 has its permissions set to 'system'. This includes all the apps, their folders and other files, everything.

And worse, altering them only works temporarily for some. I have seen the permissions on the preferences files reset to system even after I have changed them.

Message was edited by: peab0

• 25. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                          Level 7

Grrr.  Our installer team better be working this weekend....

• 26. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                            Rockaway6 Level 1

I'd like to see if some others could verify this on their systems and chime in.

Anybody... Anybody...

• 27. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                              ggrieble Level 1

I can confirm that on both my machines "EVERYTHING related to CS5 has its permissions set to 'system'. This includes all the apps, their folders and other files, everything."

I'd sure like to know how permissions should be set and if these settings are wrong I sure hope Adobe figures out how to fix this. Quite frankly this is more than a bit disappointing (to put it politely and mildly).

I should add that I have very vanilla flavored machines. I'm no power user, I don't screw around moving files around, and I haven't even loaded any beta apps. I'm running 10.6.3 with NO Time Machine anything and I have no OS X permissions issues.

• 28. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                Level 7

The ownership should match the user that installed the software.

Yes, something is going wrong.

• 29. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                  ggrieble Level 1

Thanks. I was 99% sure that should be the case......

• 30. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                    Rockaway6 Level 1

Probably just a mad rush to get CS5 shipped by the end of the month. We'll all take a deep breath and Adobe will get it fixed. If we had a chance to be part of the solution, I'm glad.

• 31. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                      ggrieble Level 1

To summarize here are the items that I changed permissions on. I made myself the owner and applied changes to all enclosed items. Then I deleted system permissions. I made no changes to the root level library items. I don't know if I've missed anything but so far everything seems to be working fine.

Application Folder:

Adobe Bridge CS5 (folder)

Adobe Device Central CS5 (folder)

Adobe Extension Manager CS5 (folder)

Adobe Media Player (folder)

Adobe Photoshop CS5 (folder)

User/Library/Preferences folder:

Adobe (folder)(not sure but this may have been correct)

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings (folder)

Adobe Save for Web 12.0 Prefs

User/Library/Application Support Folder:

Adobe (folder)

User/Library/Caches Folder:

Everything was correct.

• 32. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                        asu_chic Level 1

When I go to this file as per your post, the "owner" option is grayed out. (OS 5.8). How do I make this option available?

Also, sorry for the dumb question, but how are you viewing the owner on file? I for the life of me cannot find.  Thanks.

• 33. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                          ggrieble Level 1

Highlight the file or folder. Get Info and then unlock the sharing and permissions pane. Highlight your user name and if the Make (user name) the owner is grayed out then you're already the owner..

• 34. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                            asu_chic Level 1

Thank you!

• 35. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                              slayazz-JFic7R Level 1

ouch, thi has got to hurt!

I thought i'd try the trial and see how it looked. Shame I can't get any of of themaster suite to work properly.

Dreamweaver won't even boot!

Great job!

• 36. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                                pdrummond Level 1

Thanks to the advice posted here I can get Photoshop CS5 to launch and save my settings. Thankfully it's also detecting my graphics card and allowing OpenGL acceleration now. However, it still won't quit properly.

Tried other CS5 applications. Illustrator works but crashes on quit. Dreamweaver and InDesign won't launch at all.

• 37. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                                  paragrafx Level 1

thanks, it really helps.I wounder if your workspaces is unlocked now?

cos I still have problem with saving a workspace. there error appears with message:"could not apply command because of programm error" or smth like that...

thanks!

• 38. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                                    Rockaway6 Level 1

After I changed the access privileges the problem with the workspaces went away.

I would have expected Adobe to have posted a new installer by now.

• 39. Re: CS5 "Locked"
                                                                                      Rhobes Level 1

I'm glad I read this post. Maybe you could get back to the thread with an update when the installer is fixed. I'm not going to order till I hear, this will happen to me for sure.

Thanks, Bob-

1 2 3 Previous Next