19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 3:36 PM by nealeh

Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7

shalorian20

Alright I'll start from the top:

I bought this software via the website a year ago.  Since the very beginning I've had issues that have NEVER been resolved despite numerous sessions with the support personnel.

I download the software (after paying the over $100 for it) and discovered that I was given an incomplete version.  Naturally I was heated.  I've tried on at least 3 different occasions to have this rectified by the Adobe personnel who have tried, but always failed to solve the issue.  That's the biggest problem.  On to the others.

Now, when I go to make a movie, the sound i've recorded from the clip (i use Fraps version 3.2.2, yes the PAID for version) never is allowed to transition over.  The clip is without audio when I add it into the software.  The only work around I have for this, is that I export the clip via Windows Movie Maker and then add it into Adobe Premeire.  Naturally this DESTROYS the video quality.

Third problem, the final quality of the videos I create is very poor. We're talking just NASTY.  I can view the clips just fine and their quality is top notch before I export them out of the program.  The moment they hit my desktop, well, they look like shark chum bait fed through a paper shredder.

Here's an excellent example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHJsf1ucajQ

Now, I know the quality on that video is trash because I had to export it through Windows Movie Maker to keep the game sound effects on the clip and then export it via Adobe.  But, even on clips that purely adobe, that i've sacrificed the sound for, they look like trash.

Honestly, if i'm going to spend money on software I want my moneys worth.

I've been asked by scores of people (everyone knows I make and edit movies as a hobby) if I would recommend software for them to use; I've stopped recommending adobe.  My entire experience with this software and company has been decidedly lackluster.  I'm posting now after a year because I'm simply fed up.

I wanted to check and make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong.  Considering that I paid for a complete version that Adobe miraculously never provided to me despite numeroues attempts, I thought that might have something to do with it.

So, online community, if you have words of wisdom, please share them.  If not, I'd recommend moving to different software.

v/r

Fed Up Customer

• 1. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, if you're so fed up, why don't you contact Adobe? I don't know that there's any value in posting to this site since it's merely a user-to-user forum.

On the other hand, if you'd have come here and asked for help, we could have pinpointed it right away: This program can not successfully edit FRAPS video natively.  You can try, but -- well, you know what happens if you try.

I'm also surprised to hear that you got the "incomplete version" of the program -- since there is no incomplete version. There is additional content (themes, DVD menu templates, etc.) that can be downloaded from this site for free. But the program is always complete. It wouldn't run if it wasn't.

FRAPS video is a unique beast, and I'm not sure what program to recommend to you since, if you search "How to edit FRAPS video" on Google, all you'll find are lots of people asking for recommendations for working with it.

But it's certainly unfair to blame Premiere Elements 7 if you're trying to use it for something it wasn't designed to do. Particularly version 7, which was one of the most stable builds, in my experience.

• 2. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
            shalorian20 Level 1

When I open adobe up, i get a lovely box that says:

"A reduce set of content (Instant Movie Themes, Title and Menu Templates, etc) has been installed.  To install the full contect set, please insert your program DVD and run INstallContent.exe"

Now, since i don't have the program DVD I couldn't really follow this step, and believe me, the past 3 times I've gone to the link provided and tried to get help from customer support on getting the themes, additional templates, and tools, i get the same sad tune over and over again: "Why don't you re-download and re-install the program?" as you can imagine, a 7GB+ program isn't a fast download and this "fix" has never worked, hence my frustration.

I'm searching right now for an "adobe friendly" video capture software, but if my previous searches are any clue I probably won't find one.  I'm primarily complaining about how despite my numerous attempts to get the full content for my premeire elements, it has never happened.  So, I wanted to pass my obviously negative adobe experience on.

Oh yea, and handjamming this link: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=101platform=Windows, each time i get the gumption up to try and solve the problem is also a real pain, especially since the page it brings up has a null error on it.

• 3. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you found it rather late in the game. Let's look at a few points:

I download the software (after paying the over $100 for it) and discovered that I was given an incomplete version.

Because of the size of the program, and also the Functional Content (the extra Menus, Themes, etc.), the download is a two file process. The names of these files are similar, and many get confused, and think they are the same, only downloading and installing one, but not the other. This ARTICLE will give you the location and name of the two files. It was originally done done for PrE 7, but PrE 8 is tabbed on that page. First, the program needs to be installed, and then the Functional Content. Personally, I think that Adobe could make it more obvious, that one needs two files, and also rename the second archived file, so that it stands out as the one containing that Functional Content.

Now, when I go to make a movie, the sound i've recorded from the clip (i use Fraps version 3.2.2, yes the PAID for version) never is allowed to transition over.

FRAPS, and several other video-capture programs present problems, due to the specs. of the files that they create, especially the FPS and the CODEC used. To get some background on CODEC's, this ARTICLE will be helpful. PrE, just like its big-brother, PrPro, is designed around a miniDV tape workflow. There are other base workflows, like HDV and AVCHD, plus 100% DVD-compliant VOB, and a few others. However, when working with non-standard workflows, conversion outside of PrE is usually the best course of action.

For FRAPS, see this THREAD, this THREAD, this THREAD, this THREAD, this THREAD, this THREAD, and this THREAD. Note: that is but a start. Also, many of the replies in those have links to other threads. Plenty of reading.

Third problem, the final quality of the videos I create is very poor. We're talking just NASTY.  I can view the clips just fine and their quality is top notch before I export them out of the program.  The moment they hit my desktop, well, they look like shark chum bait fed through a paper shredder.

Without having the exact workflow, step-by-step, and then the Export/Share settings used, it is impossible to determine where the quality hit has come in, and how to address it.

Good luck, and sorry for your dissatisfaction,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                shalorian20 Level 1

Actually that was very helpful.  Empowered by the constructiveness of venting (and yes it is very constructive, my time in the military taugh

t me that ) I was doing some digging of my own.  Believe it or not, I actually found some Opensource shareware (virusfree thank you Norton) that appears to have been designed to work exclusively with FRAPS.

I'm currently exporting it right now and i'll let you know if it works.

To address the added content files, you're right, they could have been more specific about it needing two batch files to run.  However, I have previously downloaded the content file which for some reason after I installed them, never communicated with Adobe.  Hence, the high level of frustration.

I just wish I had known before hand that Adobe was more geared towards camcorders as opposed to gaming software.  Ah well, live and learn.

• 5. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Now, since i don't have the program DVD I couldn't really follow this step, and believe me, the past 3 times I've gone to the link provided and tried to get help from customer support on getting the themes, additional templates, and tools, i get the same sad tune over and over again: "Why don't you re-download and re-install the program?" as you can imagine, a 7GB+ program isn't a fast download and this "fix" has never worked, hence my frustration.

With the downloaded version, there are two files - the program and the Functional Content. If you have the program installed, and it sounds as though you do, then you only need to download the Functional Content, listed in this ARTICLE. Once downloaded, you MUST Extract the archived file with the full folder structure, and then install the Functional Content.

As I do not edit FRAPS material, it might be useful if you would run one of its files through the great, free utility, G-SPOT, and post a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen. That will tell us all of the details of those files, especially the Audio, that seems to be giving you a big problem. It could be as simple as a setting in FRAPS, or maybe a better conversion workflow will get you the Audio and better quality Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Believe it or not, I actually found some Opensource shareware (virusfree thank you Norton) that appears to have been designed to work exclusively with FRAPS.

That sounds great! If it does work with the FRAPS material, please post the name, so that other FRAPS users can likely benefit. Though this is an Adobe forum, they are more concerned with happy Video editors, and we try to be as helpful, as is possible, even when the workflow goes outside of the Adobe product line. As always, I send a big "THANK YOU," to Adobe for hosting this forum and allowing us to help others, as well as we can.

Another potential resource for editing info is Muvipix. Most users there do own some Adobe programs, but use a lot of others. Very helpful folk there, with a lot of great ideas, both technical and aesthetic.

Good luck, and please report your success,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As for the additional content, if you'd have asked us, we could have pointed you right to the download.

http://www.adobe.com/special/premiereel/downloads/

(You may need to log in with your Adobe ID and password -- the same one you use on this forum -- to follow the link. Then just select the version 7 tab.)

That won't solve your incompatibility problem with that FRAPS video, but it will get you the 'complete' program.

• 8. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I have previously downloaded the content file which for some reason after I installed them, never communicated with Adobe.  Hence, the high level of frustration.

This is odd behavior. Other than the order that one must install, program first, then Functional Content, I have not heard of any issues with just the installation of the Functional Content, so long as one Extracts the file w/ folder structure, and then uses the installer module. Other than not being able to download, which is usually browser or firewall specific, things just seem to work fine. Not sure why your attempt failed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                          shalorian20 Level 1

The software I found is VirtualDub and so far it's looking very promising.  The download is free and as you can tell when you go to the download section of the page, geared specifically for FRAPS users.

When I play the clip within the editing software, we all know how choppy it looks normally with the in-software viewer, the quality is joytastic. I haven't exported yet, seeing as how I want to get all the little details sorted out; but when I finally do, I'll make sure I provide a link so the forum goers here can see the finished product and draw their own conclusions.

It did feel fantastic to finally vent about the issues I've been having to someone other than my wife though .  She uses Windows Movie Maker , i find the lack of options for the text editing and transitions within that software painful.

Anyways, I'm going to play around with this some and see if my hopes are realised.

• 10. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck. VirtualDub is a very useful tool for many AV editing and conversion requirements. It is an oft recommended tool. Between you and me, one can never have too many tools in their audio & video editing toolbox.

As for WMM, it actually gets a lot of recs. here, especially if one has WMV files (WMM is designed around those, while many other NLE programs are not), and the DV-AVI Type I output files will edit fine in PrE/PrPro. Yes, it is limited, but with the correct source footage, it does a good job, as an intermediate step in the workflow. Now, there is a new "Live" version, that seems to be extremely limited, but I really do not know much about that.

Hope that VirtualDub does just what you need. Please report on your success.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                              nealeh Level 5

shalorian20 wrote:

Opensource shareware

Those two words should be mutually exclusive.

OpenSource software is free. If you wish (and have the necessary programming skills) you can even download the source code and enhance it to your own requirements.

Shareware is essentially a commercial product on a try-before-you-buy-basis. It may however include opensource components.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                                nealeh Level 5

shalorian20 wrote:

The only work around I have for this, is that I export the clip via Windows Movie Maker and then add it into Adobe Premeire.  Naturally this DESTROYS the video quality.

That merely means you haven't exported it properly. Using WMM2 (XP) or WMM2.6 (Vista and 7) you can select during the export process (on the Movie Setting screen) "Show More Choices". From that select the DV-AVI format.

wmm.png

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                                  shalorian20 Level 1

Just wanted to point out that I think i finally managed (with the great help i received here ) to get the correct content opened up on my adobe!

The problem wasn't that it was failing to download, or even that the file was incompatable with the software provided (which would have been a mystery if it was), the problem was that I was simply opening it in the wrong forum.  I was trying to open it directly from my downloads folder, which is completely the wrong step to take.

If anyone else runs into this problem, simply guide them to their Adoe Premeire Elements folder, which i saved on my desktop, and have them open the source file from there.  Once that is installed and updated, everything should run properly.  The biggest mistake I made was trying to access the content folder outside of the source for the adobe program itself.  Windows won't read the file properly and will refuse to take any steps at all aside from pointing you to the internet.

So, in short, adobe was doing what it should have done.  I just wish the tech support people had pointed this simple fix out to me a year ago.  My frustration wouldn't have built to the point it had.  I've done tech support before though, I know just how frustrating it can be to try to help someone when you aren't physically there to see their problems and the steps they've taken to address them.

I'm finishing up the install on the content right now, and playing around with VirtualDub which appears to be a wonderful tool (more to come), so I'll let you know if my little trip down humble road has paid off.

• 14. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                                    shalorian20 Level 1

Now that was a wonderful WMM pointer! Thank you for providing it nealeh!  I'll make sure i do that at all times in the future!

I'm actually going to go do that right now.

• 15. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                                      shalorian20 Level 1

here's my question, I didn't have that option when i went to publish the movie, so i chose HD 1080p resolution.  am I needing an update for WMM?

much as I don't really care for the program, I do use it as a backup to adobe premeire quite a bit.  this export is looking like it will take a while, so I was wondering about that.

• 16. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                                        shalorian20 Level 1

Just wanted to let everyone know that the content install went perfectly!  I can't believe all the transitions, effects, themes, etc. that I had been without!  Oh, the sheer madness I am about to unleash! *rubs hand together*

• 17. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          I just wish the tech support people had pointed this simple fix out to me a year ago.

I cannot agree more. I am not a fan of current Adobe Tech Support, as they seem to have a set, and very limited script of "uninstall - reinstall," and that is about the end of it. For all but licensing issues, I find the T/S in this forum to be far superior to what one gets from Adobe Support. Now, Adobe has pledged to change things, as you and I are not the only ones, who feel that T/S should be better. At one time, I ranked Adobe T/S near the top of all software companies, but no longer. Maybe they WILL get things back in order, with techs, who actually use the programs and know something about it, beyond a script.

Good luck, and glad that things are going better!

Hunt

• 18. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, there are a ton of Functional Content. Do not recall exactly, but I think that it's about 13GB of material (could be confusing the Functional Content load from Encore there). That's why it ships in two files with the download. Also, some users will not want, or need that additional material, so a minimal install is better for them. As Steve pointed out, the program will function properly and completely without it, save for that informative message at launch. It's a reminder only, and I do not know if it goes away at some point, or could even be turned off. I always install all Adobe Functional Content, so have never really looked into it.

Wish that I could offer more on WMM, but I so seldom use it, that I am just not familiar with its limitations and settings. Neale seems to know it, plus the "Live" edition, as I am sure that others can provide you with tips, pointers and instructions.

Good luck, and glad that things are looking up. Glad that you found the forum.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Systematic and Never Ending Problems With Elements 7
                                              nealeh Level 5

Perhaps you are using the Windows Live Movie Maker - that's pretty much useless.  This is the one you want:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d6ba5972-328e-4df7-8f9d-068fc0f80 cfc&displaylang=en

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale