16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 4:35 PM by sync2rhythm

PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260

Moxtelling Level 1

Hi

Just bought, downloaded and installed Master Collection CS5Indeternational English  - very excited about how PPro CS5 would perform compared to CS4. Harm has allready told us that there is a 40% performace gain in exporting, but what about playback and supporting old Nvidia cards? Well - playing back my sequence with AVCHD files inside PPro CS5 only adding one or two simple effects and transitions does not play back very much smoother than in CS4. I guess PPro CS5 loads pretty quick and seems a bit more quick all in all, but my "old" GTX 260 is absolutely not supported - yet - or maybe never? We don´t know. I better start looking for one of the supported cards - I can´t wait for the new Nvidia cards coming Q4 2010. And I can´t wait untill Adobe - maybe - will support GTX 260 - it might be never - and who will tell?

So hey  I´m not that impressed right now....CS5 looks quite much like CS4 from a GUI point of view. Guess the power is underneath the surface - but I will not be able to get that power or Mercury Engine etc. to run before I buy a new videocard I guess...hmmmm....I certainly hope that a new card will show some me that PPro CS5 is worth the $....right now I can´t say I´m impressed....spending 2000$ on software upgrade - and looking forward to spend another 2000$ on a Nvidia CX Quadro??? Or is GTX 285 enough? My GTX 260 is deffinetly not an option anymore....I´m depressed!

Morten

• 1. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
          pmasters8941 Level 1

Morten,

In all fairness, Adobe has disclosed long before the shipping of CS5 which cards would be supported. Because they have not stated which, if any, additional card support may or may not be coming in the future is no reason to not feel good about your investment. Nearly every system that was able to run to CS4 should see a performance increase I believe of up to 40% with no additional hardware upgrades.

Work with what you have now or if you absolutely need the GPU performance, try to find a GTX supported card. I know this isn't much consolation but even if performance has been increased by nearly 40% over CS4, it is better than nothing until further support for additional cards arrives.

• 2. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
            Moxtelling Level 1

Hi

you are right, but the 40% performance increase is only - according to Harm - concerning encoding speed - not playback speed. Without one of the supported Nvidia card users will experience the same playback (preview when editing) speed as with CS4. At least that is what I experience. If I play back a sequence in full res - it stutters - if I playback in ½ res it looks awfull - much like with CS4. I can playback AVCHD files smoothly without any effects or transitions, but if i use just one simple transition and f.x. a Colour-correction it plays back badly. It uses only the software - not the mercury engine (I can see that inside the Project settings> general) - and this experience I guess will be the same to all other users not having any of the supported cards.

I think I will be happy with CS5 - in a while - but I think this is a bit dissapointing - looking forward to just a little performance gain in playing back - getting no better - even though 40% in encoding is nice though. But I would prefer better playback performance when edittting than quicker encoding speed.

So I deffinetly will have to buy a new card - wich I guess is what both Adobe and Nvidia hope I will do - according to the conspiracy theory growing in this forum about Adobe and Nvidia haveing made a deal about making PPro CS5 depend only on very few cards - all from Nvidia....

But in a few month all this will be forgotten - because everyone will have to buy a new card from Nvidia and everyone will experience huge gain in performance - and we are all happy...and poor. Now my only concern is wich card to buy - I want the quickest, with best performance compared to price - and wich has no heat or noise issues.....???

• 3. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
              Missteach Level 1

Hello,

Is it now shipping then?  My wife ordered the Master Collection a couple of weeks ago and we still see a predicted shipping date as 10th May!!!

How frustrating.

• 4. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                pmasters8941 Level 1

You can always lower your playback resolution as well in order to get

smoother playback. Have you tried doing this?

• 5. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                  pmasters8941 Level 1

Sorry, just saw where you said you tried 1/2 res. My apologies.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Patrick Masters <patrickdmasters@gmail.com

• 6. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                    David Zeno Level 1

To the original poster....

you need to watch this 2 part video from an Adobe person, he goes through the speed tests using CS5 and a supported card.

Sit down, grab some popcorn, oh.... and don't forget a towel, because you are really going to drool :-)  This video has sold me on a card.

Just imagine the hours of saved time, in just a few days, CS5 is going to change people's lives.... seriously.

What this guy shows with CS5 with a certified Mercury abled card is astonishing.

SneakPeek Adobe Mercury  Playback Engine Part 1 of 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sylAonfVp9k

and here is part 2....

SneakPeek Adobe Mercury  Playback Engine Part 2 of 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrE9vXUfgvs

Dave

• 7. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                      ruzun Level 1

I ordered a used GTX 285 off ebay for $240 (free shipping).  They seem to range in the buy now category, between $220 and $275, many with free shipping.  I also have a GTX 260 and do resent having to buy a 285 which is more or less the same card, but that's the reality of things.

I'm relatively sure that in the next few weeks they will support the GTX 480 and perhaps the 470, but that's just speculation.  For now your best bet is to monitor gtx 285 on ebay and grab one that has free shipping and is priced under $275 (or wait until Adobe announces GTX 400 series support and buy the newer, faster, supported card then).

The ones that go in auction seem to sell even higher than the buy now cards, for some odd reason.  People get carried away with their bids, I tried to get one under $200 but the bidding  towards the end goes up to above buy now levels.

With the GTX 470 and 480 being out now people are selling off their older cards.  I'm hoping to get $100-$125 for my Gtx260 to try and recoup some of the cost of the 285 so it's not really that bad, just a pain to be forced into doing this for what appears to be marketing reasons.

-Roger Uzun

• 8. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                        pmasters8941 Level 1

Personally I am waiting to see what happens with the upcoming Fermi cards

before I make my next hardware upgrade.

• 9. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Morten,

I have a different system, so things are not directly comparable, but with a timeline consisting of AVCHD 1920i 29.97, HDV 1440i 25 and XDCAM-EX HQ  1920i 25 material intermixed in a AVCHD 19201 29.97 sequence with both SM and PM set to full resolution, with 3-way CC, gaussian blur, fast CC, echo, PIP, opacity, motion/scale/position effects and cross dissolve transitions with a title on top, so with 4 tracks and without rendering (red bar shown) it plays back in RT with no discernable dropped frames with the PM set to fit.

Just my experience with CS5.

• 10. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                            sync2rhythm Level 1

But I would prefer better playback performance when edittting than  quicker encoding speed. <-- So True!

When I'm editing (playback) is when I need the increase. <-- The Editing Experience

When I'm Rendering can be when I'm sleeping/overnight or on a break or... or... or... <-- Mercury Playback Engine, right?

I've got 2 FX1800 cards but that's only 64 CUDA Cores each.Combined this is still less than the FX3800 w/192 CUDA Cores.

This coupled with the FX 1800 NOT being on the approved card list may mean that I won't get much of an increase in my Editing Experience either... I soo hope I get proven wrong.

• 11. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Fat chance. The FX1800 is a lousy card to begin with and SLI is not supported.

• 12. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                                Moxtelling Level 1

Hi Harm

Wow - and you have an ATI card? What makes the performance increase then? I think I have read you have the i920 CPU like me, but overclocked it? My CPU runs 100% all the time when editting realtime in full res. I use 720 50P AVCHD from my Panasonic AG-HMC 151 - and it plays back very slow and stuttering a lot because it uses the CPU all the time. So I figure that my system would run more smooth adding fx. a 285 or maybe even the Quadro CX - I would reaaly just like to have a system that runs smooth right now - I have lived with bad performance for the last year - almost going out of my mind some times with very slow, stutterung editting, slow encoding etc. Even though my system is not Highend, but still beyond what is recomended.

/Morten

• 13. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Morten

When I add an AVCHD 1080 50P clip (28 Mbps) to a HDV sequence I get some dropped frames in the PM, but close to RT, while still having Skype, Firefox (10+ tabs), and other applications open.

• 14. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                                    Moxtelling Level 1

OK - but what´s the secret then? Is your CPU not running hot? is it the overclocked i920

or?

• 15. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

OC'ed to 3.7 GHz, running idle around 32- 35 C and under load while encoding around 60 - 65 C, during Prime 95 torture test around 73 - 76 C with an ambient temperature of 21 C.

• 16. Re: PPro CS5 - bad performance with GTX 260
                                        sync2rhythm Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Fat chance. The FX1800 is a lousy card to begin with and SLI is not supported.

I would hardly say "it's a lousy card to begin with".

The only bad thing I've ever ran into is that they are not on the approved list for Mercury Playback w/ CS5.

My editing experience is decent with my current setup of CS4 editing DV and footage from an EX1.

I usually batch render over night so that doesn't matter to me.

Besides, the FX1800's work hella well w/ Vegas & Avid and I'm sure I'll still get a performance increase when I upgrade to CS5.

I would just like my Premiere editing experience to be as smooth as my Vegas experience.

Looking at your statements of 40% faster/better on your setup... I should get a good 10% - 20% (hopefully).