7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 12:09 PM by DomeGuy

Shockwave application error

DomeGuy

I've built a project for the web. I published the html and dcr files. When I try to run the html file I get an application error in both Firefox and IE. Does anyone know what is going on? I'm using using Director 11.5 on a 64bit XP system. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Shockwave application error
          DomeGuy Level 1

I have tried this on the machines of several co-workers. It works completely, in Firefox an IE, on two machines. It doesn't work at all on one other. And, works in Firefox but not IE on another. Any ideas?

• 2. Re: Shockwave application error
            DomeGuy Level 1

I also can't play any dcr files from the internet.

• 3. Re: Shockwave application error
              Mike Blaustein Level 4

Sounds like you need to reinstall Showckwave.  Uninstall it completely first if you can.

• 4. Re: Shockwave application error
                DomeGuy Level 1

I went to add/remove programs and found that it listed 3 instances of Shockwave. I removed (uninstalled) all of them and reinstalled the full (not slim) version of Shockwave. It now works in IE, but when it comes up in Firefox it starts running but I get a message that there is an error in the Shockwave file and tells me to contact the author, which is me. It does the same thing anytime I try to access Shockwave content on the internet too.

Greg Trent

Multimedia Designer

NASA

Marshall Space Flight Center

Huntsville, Al

256-544-1822

• 5. Re: Shockwave application error
                  Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
                  ... when it comes up in Firefox it starts running but I get a message that there is an error in the Shockwave file and tells me to contact the author, which is me.

That's a coding error in the file, not something wrong with the plugin. You need to start debugging - alert statements, message window, ...

• 6. Re: Shockwave application error
                    DomeGuy Level 1

I somehow had 3 copies of shockwave in my add/remove programs. I uninstalled all of them and reinstalled the latest version. I then uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it and now everything works.

• 7. Re: Shockwave application error
                      DomeGuy Level 1

As I stated before, I had multiple different versions of the shockwave player installed on my machine. After removing them all and installing the latest player and Firefox, everything works. I thought that when you install a new version of shockwave player, or anything else for that matter, it overwrites the old version so you won't have 2 or more copies fighting for control. I supect it has something to do with the way the IT guys "push" updates onto our machines. Has anyone out there ever ended up with multiple copies of shockwave on their machine?