1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 9:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Trouble Importing Large Flip Camera Files

Tim K Editor&Philosophe

I work with a client who insists on using the Flip camera to shoot their footage. I have worked on several of these projects using CS4. In general, the files pose no problems when importing or during editing. However I've had a recurring issue with Flip files of a certain file size, specifically a file 1.5 GB or greater. Files of that size simply will not import into CS4. I get the 'Importer reported a generic error' message. In fact, the files that register that error in PPro also will not open in Quicktime or VLC Media Player.. basically they seem to be corrupted.

Adding to the confusion is that on the client's side, the files seem to behave normally. We use an FTP client to transfer the footage.. could that be causing problems? Again, though, its only files of a certain size.

Anyone have any insight into why the files would stop working or become corrupted?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Trouble Importing Large Flip Camera Files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I have seen many issues with Flip footage, but do not recall any related to file sizes. Not sure about the media used by the Flip, but wonder if maybe there is a size limitation there, and the camera does "spanned" files, broken up at a certain point. If so, it could be that PrPro is unable to span the multiple files?

Just a guess, and likely not to be of any use. I'll be interested to see what the issue with the larger files is.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - that you have had good luck with other Flip files is ahead of many users, who struggle with most Flip files.