2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2010 1:46 PM by Bit Head

Which version of Reader does NOT keep attempting to access the Web?

Bit Head

I should ask - "What's the LATEST version...".    I use version 5.0.  I'm happy with it - until I get the "There was an error in opening this file.  The file is damaged and could not be repaired." message.  Then I tried installing 9.3.  That worked - the file opened, but now I'm constantly being asked by my Zone Alarm if I want to allow it to access the internet.  No, I don't want Zone Alarm to 'Not Ask'. I want it to stop 'Having' to ask.  There is nothing I need Reader to 'get off the net' when I don't specifically request it to do so.  So... which version of Reader does NOT need to constantly contact the Adobe homeland?   Also - after installing READER 9.3, the PRINTER DISTILLER embedded in Word,etc. stopped working.  I restored my system to 'just before Reader 9.3' and it worked again.

• 1. Re: Which version of Reader does NOT keep attempting to access the Web?
          pwillener Level 8

Bit Head wrote:

now I'm constantly being asked by my Zone Alarm if I want to allow it to access the internet.

"It" being what - Adobe Reader (AcroRd32.exe, AcroRd32.dll), or the Adobe Updater (AdobeUpdater.exe, AcrobatUpdater.exe, ReaderUpdater.exe), or Adobe ARM (AdobeARM.exe) ?

• 2. Re: Which version of Reader does NOT keep attempting to access the Web?
            Bit Head Level 1

Ya know, I didn't scrutinize the message - I was just peeved at being asked over and over and clicking 'no' as fast as I could because I was trying to keep my attention on the work I was doing - not the words in the warning box. However - I believe several times I saw the word 'Updater' and several times it was 'Adobe something' without 'Updater'. Because I did not yet think it mattered if it was 'Adobe' or 'Acrobat' that came first, I can't say for sure if it was one or both.  From the big words I read on the 'downloads' page, I thought I was downloading Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.3.  I did not request an 'updater' program to be installed.  I did not request an 'AOM.exe' to run all the time.  I simply want an Acrobat Reader program to display PDF files.  The only online activity I expect is that which occurs when I use a URL address for the file to be opened - period.  Perhaps there's a program written by a corporate entity less user-info-garnering-happy than Adobe that will work?

Anyway - it's a moot point for me now.  I restored my system to a point prior to that install - it's gone - and not coming back unless I get some answers I like.