12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 5:46 PM by abby2003

CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug

illusionarts

Cs5 doesn't see the embedded alpha in my proress 444 quicktimes. They works fine in cs3.

Can someone else confirm this bug?

• 1. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
          seth monger

What do CS3 and CS5 AE say in the project info area when you select the footage item?

What interpretation options are available in CS5 AE for the footage?

Have you tried this footage in Premiere CS5 as well?  Any problem with the alpha there?

What version of QuickTime and ProRes do you have installed?

Are you running Mac or Windows?

• 2. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
            illusionarts Level 1

What do CS3 and CS5 AE say in the project info area when you select the footage item?

CS3 - Apple ProRes 444 - Trillions of colors +

CS5 - Apple ProRes 444 - Trillions of colors

Same clip CS5 not seeing the alpha

What interpretation options are available in CS5 AE for the footage?

All the alpha options are grayed out

Have you tried this footage in Premiere CS5 as well?  Any problem with the alpha there?

No, I'm cutting on FCP

What version of QuickTime and ProRes do you have installed?

The latest, v10.0 (113)

Are you running Mac or Windows?

Mac - 10.6.3

• 3. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
              seth monger Level 1

Thanks for the details.  This looks similar to a problem with interacting codecs that we are investigating.  Could you try the following and see if it helps?

1. close any open QT using applications, player, FCP, AE, etc.

2. from the root of your boot drive, open Library > QuickTime and locate any FCP Uncompressed component

3. move that component temporarily to another location to disable it (e.g. your desktop)

4. Open AE CS5 again and see if there is any difference in alpha channel behavior on that footage

Also, do you have any AJA codecs installed?

• 4. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
                paulgolden Level 1

I'm having the exact same problem. With ProRes 4444 CS4 AE recognizes Alpha Channel under Interpret Footage. CS5 AE does not. Real PIA, because I roundtrip between FCP and AE and ProRes is the codec of choice. I will try the fix you suggested. Just as another point, the Interpretation Rules.txt file STILL does not have a LUT for ProRes among the codecs it recognizes for color roundtripping.

But the missing Alpha is really my main gripe....

Help!

(BTW, no AJA, Black Magic etc.) Vanilla install....

• 5. Re: CS5 ProRes 4444 w/alpha bug
                  paulgolden Level 1

Just for yucks, I just tried the fix removing the FCP Uncompressed codec from Library folder: nothing. 

I also tried bringing the 4444 file into Premiere CS5: Didn't recognize Alpha. Brought it into CS4 Premiere: Alpha works.

I guess there's a bug in CS5 with ProRes 4444 and alpha. BTW, on the CS5 AE, I brought in the footage as uncompressed with an Alpha, works fine. I then exported the footage as ProRes4444 RGB+Alpha. Then reimported the export back into AE CS5. Alpha unrecognized. Same clip works in FCP, AE4, Premiere 4. 

CS5 is the culprit. But what?  Any thoughts would be appreciated. I was so happy ProRes round trip worked in CS4. Now its broken... wah.....

• 6. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
                    brettios

Hey,

I have the same setup and am experiencing exactly the same problem with un recognised alpha on prores 4444 in CS5. Works fine in CS4.

//B

• 7. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
                      seth monger Level 1

Sorry for the hassle.  We are looking at the problem now and hope to have a workaround soon.

Seth

• 8. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
                        seth monger Level 1

If you are experiencing this problem on Mac, here is a temporary workaround until this can be fixed in a future dot release:

1. Close any production premium apps (e.g. Ae, Pr)

2.  Locate the MediaCoreQTCodecRulesCS5.xml  file in your user Library/Preferences/Application Support/Adobe/Common folder

3.  Make a duplicate copy of this file in case you need to roll back later

4.  Edit the file and locate the 'ap4h', 'mactel' entries for both encode AND decode.  Change the deepdecodefourcc to' b64a' to exactly match the following example lines:

<QTCodec codec='ap4h' vendor='****' platform='mactel' direction='encode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false' cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />

<QTCodec codec='ap4h' vendor='****' platform='mactel' direction='decode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false' cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />

5. Launch AE and try your footage again.   Please note that exports to ProRes 444 in AE will also use the QT codec.  Keep an eye out for possible differences in metadata content or  embedded color profile.

On Windows, the fix is similar but the .xml  file is located in your user  AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\  directory and the entries for codec= 'ap4h'  and platform='windows' need to be modified  instead.

• 9. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
                          Douglas DeVore

I've tried this workaround - modifying my MediaCoreQTCodecRulesCS5.xml file in ~/Library Application Support/Adobe/Common (note the file path did not include Preferences) and I'm still not seeing any alpha channel interpretation with ProRes 4444 footage (even restarted the machine just to confirm)

I also removed AJA codecs and the uncompressed codec from Library/Quicktime for good measure

Has anybody had any success with this workaround?

Thanks!

Doug

• 10. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
                            Dan Ramirez Adobe Employee

I've successfully used this workaround on the Mac side. I haven't tested the Win side yet.

Dan Ramirez

AE QA

• 11. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
                              abby2003

The workaround is not working for me.  Anyone else?  AE CS5 is Still seeing clip as "Trillions", with no "+".

• 12. Re: CS5 Proress 444 w/alpha bug
                                abby2003 Level 1

Oops.. Nevermind... It's working, I was making the code edits on the Backup on my desktop.