13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 8:41 PM by Terwax.com
      • 1. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
        the_wine_snob Level 9

Two HDD's is the minimum, with 3+ being better, as one can allocate different operations over that range.

You should be able to handle the simple editing with your rig though. For the smoothest playback of HD material, a RAID media drive is recommended, but many get by without that. One will have to test to see how smoothly it goes. Also, I hope that the HDD's are 7200 RPM minimum, as many laptop HDD's are 5400 RPM and that is a big bottleneck.

Also, if smooth playback is not happening, and you have a red line over your Clips on the Timeline, Rendering (pressing the Enter key) might improve things enough to get by.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
          Terwax.com Level 1

can you tell me how to parition the 2 drives? Like c for os, d for media cache etc... I will have one parition on the other drive for programs. Here is what i was going to do

C: OS

D: Media cache

E: Page file

The other drive

F: Programs

G: Videos or like data

Are those enough partitions? Do i need page file when i already have 8gb of notebook memory at 1333mhz? And what is media cache? All i have come across is, having a parition thats the source, then rendering it to different partion. Don't know where i set up the media cache... And whenever i render, the program onlyuses 3~gb of ram instead of 8!

and sorry,  i can't do raid 0 on this laptop despite spending so much money on it.

The hard drives are 7200rpm seagate 7200.4  version with 8mb cache, still not as fast as desktop drives are.

• 3. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Partitions do not help at all. It only worsens the situation by adding overhead and increasing wear and tear on your disks.

A pagefile is always needed. Better use one fixed size (min=max) for a static pagefile of 8 - 12 GB.

Memory usage is OS dependent. What is your OS?

• 4. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
              Terwax.com Level 1

i have windows 7 premium 64bit

do i create pagefile per hard drive or for every partition? So should i just have 1 parition for os, another for page file (assuming i only need one) and media cache while on the other drive, source and programs in 1 parition?

is it better to have media cahce on the drive that doesn't have os but programs or doesn't matter?

• 5. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
                Harm Millaard Level 7

DO NOT PARTITION!!!!

Use ONE static pagefile, preferably as the first file on your second disk. Then do a boot time defrag.

BTW. How did you get a HD5870 video card installed in that notebook?

• 6. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good that the HDD's are 7200 RPM.

In case you missed Harm's comments in a bold font - please, please do not partition your HDD's. At the very best, that will just slow things down and create extra bottlenecks in the system. If you have two physical HDD's, keep them un-partitioned. It will never get any better than that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
                    Terwax.com Level 1

BTW. How did you get a HD5870 video card installed in that notebook?

With a hammer

Joking, th elaptop comse with in. its mobility edition but on par with the desktop 5770.

Anyway, right now i already have:

C: 150gb

D:150gb

E:50gb

second drive

E:265gb

G:315gb

If someone can tell me how to set it up, it would be great! I don't want to reinstall the windows again

Other thing, i put one 12gb pagefile for any partition in the second drive, right? And lets say i use the 50gb parition, can i still use the rest of the space? After i create pagefile, how do i do the defrag? I only heard about defrag within windows...

edit

i did hdtune and was the os drive was 100mb-19mb in the end and the secondary one was 105-45~mbps

• 8. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      i did hdtune and was the os drive was 100mb-19mb in the end and the secondary one was 105-45~mbps

Those figures are disturbing. For any reasonably modern 7200 RPM disk these figures should be around 120 - 60 MB/s. If it goes down to below 20, something is seriously wrong. Now that may be caused by your partitioning or something else, hard to discern from here, but these results are worrisome.

Maybe Partition Magic can help you get rid of all these partitions, otherwise a complete reformat and fresh install of OS & programs is all that is left.

Setup should be something like this:

C: OS & programs & projects

D: Pagefile, scratch and media

It depends a bit on the nature of your projects, your workflow, but in general you set up your disks in such a way that disk accesses are spread over the available disks as much as possible.

• 9. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back some years, I did use Partition Magic (it's now a Symantec app., IIRC), to rid some partitions used for PS Scratch Disks, prior to PS CS, back when the program could only use 4GB per Scratch Disk. Worked fine and for ~ US$39 was worth it for me. Have not needed to use the newer versions, as that was the last time that I had partitions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
                          Terwax.com Level 1

The lowest was 19mb, but was floating arond 30mb. Still that aint good..

I can't afford the partition magic and i heard its not good to partition after installing windows. I am thinking of fresh install, but if there is a workaround, it would save me tons of time as not installing apps etc.

For the setup

1)Can i have the programs in secondary drive? What about just a game or 2?

2)By projects, do you mean the videos that im going to edit?

3)what is scratch?

4) By media, do you mean videos im going to edit?

Lastly, what about a bit of data? Like <50gb.. Pictures documents etc

Like, truly anonymous

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:16:10 -0600

To: windows.crossbow@hotmail.com

Subject: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this

i did hdtune and was the os drive was 100mb-19mb in the end and the

secondary one was 105-45~mbps

Those figures are disturbing. For any reasonably modern 7200 RPM disk these figures should be around 120 - 60 MB/s. If it goes down to below 20, something is seriously wrong. Now that may be caused by your partitioning or something else, hard to discern from here, but these results are worrisome.

Maybe Partition Magic can help you get rid of all these partitions, otherwise a complete reformat and fresh install of OS & programs is all that is left.

Setup should be something like this:

C: OS & programs & projects

D: Pagefile, scratch and media

It depends a bit on the nature of your projects, your workflow, but in general you set up your disks in such a way that disk accesses are spread over the available disks as much as possible.

>

• 11. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
                            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Can you look at Task Manager and tell us how many processes are runining when you boot up before you try running CS4?

• 12. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

First, Adobe programs really, really want to be on the C:\ (System) HDD, but make it easy to locate aspects, like Projects on other local HDD's. Do not know about any games, as my workstations are only for image, or video editing. I gave up gaming many years ago, after spending some years writing adventure games. Fun while it lasted, but that was then, and this is now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this
                                Terwax.com Level 1

alright, so i will put them in c drive. but for over 1 year i haven't understood this

in which drive do i put the video files that i need to edit and in which drive do i save them (like when its rendering)

Like, truly anonymous

Date: Fri, 30 Apr alright2010 21:17:42 -0600

To: windows.crossbow@hotmail.com

Subject: been stuck for over  a year, please help me do this

First, Adobe programs really, really want to be on the C:\ (System) HDD, but make it easy to locate aspects, like Projects on other local HDD's. Do not know about any games, as my workstations are only for image, or video editing. I gave up gaming many years ago, after spending some years writing adventure games. Fun while it lasted, but that was then, and this is now.

Good luck,

Hunt

>